Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Feeding changes.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  vampiric_conure 
#1 ·
After we got Hercules back he ate anything we had and like never before ate what I would eat, or at least try. He just loves crusty bread. I will have a crusty roll at lunchtime and he goes mad to get some. I give him a little ensuring there is no butter or cheese on it etc.

He also loves potato crisips, specifically cheese and onion flavor. I do give him a little piece anytime I have some. Maybe twice per week.

He does not get much of either or often but I was wondering if it was ok to continue to do this?

He eats a mix of seeds, pellet and fruit. As yet he has not touched any veg we give him.

I have also noticed that he wants to eat when we are eating. I usually close him in his cage, and after a couple of minutes whining he will go to his food bowls and eat also. Would it be safe/ok to let him eat with us, maybe a little plate of his own? Being careful only to give him what is good for him.

Sent from my InFocus M808 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Having a plate out for Hercules when you're eating is an excellent idea. A lot of people do that. :) It's flock behavior to eat when a flock mate is eating, so him eating when you are is perfectly understandable. Just watch out - he might try to eat from YOUR plate, never mind his! LOL

As for potato chips - sounds like you're doing okay with that. My guys get them, too, on a rare occasion. And what is it with birds and crusty bread? My guys go bonkers for the crusts off of my bread/buns. Silly brats, LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.