Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Very ill cockatiel

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ParrotletsRock 
#1 ·
Hi,

My six year old cockatiel has gone really downhill today. She is an aviary bird and I noticed earlier this week that she seemed off her food but I thought I might have just caught her when she was tired. Today she seemed really lethargic so I took her to the vet and she is very underweight. We have antibiotics to give her (in water with some ribena) but she has gone even more downhill. She is really really sluggish (almost floppy when I pick her up) and her feet are cold. She is covered in a warm room but she isn't eating anything (but has had the water with medicine). Her poo is pure water now with a tiny bit of white). I was wondering if there was anything I could give her to get her energy levels up and encourage her to eat. At this stage I don't think she will make it through the night. She can't walk well but still has enough energy to bite with a bit of force.

Thanks

G
#2 ·
You could try giving her food like cooked potatoes or carrots. Cooked beans as well, just make sure it's very soft and easy to eat. Food like this is very treat like so she may be more willing to eat it. Good luck! I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I hope she'll be OK!

Providing some extra heat will be helpful. You can do this by putting a heating pad under half the cage, or by covering one end of the cage with a towel and shining a lamp on it so the heat goes through the towel and into the cage. Be careful that the lamp isn't close enough to set the towel on fire! The reason for heating only one side of the cage is so she can move if she gets too hot.

It's also very useful to provide electrolytes. I don't know whether Ribena serves that purpose or not, it probably provides sugar but maybe not the salt. The usual way to provide electrolytes is with Pedialyte or a sports drink like Gatorade. There are also simple recipes for making your own: http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/rehydration-drinks?navbar=hw86827

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.