Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Your Tiel's Carrier

22K views 58 replies 28 participants last post by  Lore 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a nicer, bigger carrier for my tiels.
I have a really small one i got from petco in 2008, so its probably time to update xD
Buuut I'm really curious what every one else uses
All the nice ones seem to be over $100 and i really can't afford those, but i would REALLY like a nicer one then I currently use.
Any good, affordable carriers you guys know?
Here's mine (We're camping this weekend so no that mess is not my house!! lol!)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
dally and tsuka's carrier :)

just a small 15" x 12"x 18" cage, nothing special, it works for transport :)

#5 ·
I was thinking about getting a budgie cage for a carrier, i mean 20 bucks vs a 100+ one thats the same size. lol but i was afraid the door would be too small, i'm not sure if you can tell but Eclipse is really big. he's about 16 inches from head to tip of tail.
I've never seen a tiel so big. and i'mm a little afraid he'd get stuck xD

#6 ·
It is sort of difficult to get Rocko through the door, and he's very small - only 9-10 inches from head to tail. If you look into getting a budgie cage as a carrier, go to the pet store and see if you can find one with a large door.

Mine was $35, for reference.

#7 ·
I saw one advertised once that had an option to either slide the door up or open it from the side, the side one was taller. But i've not been able to find it though.

#9 ·
Yeah for big cages its nice to have those doors, and from the youtube videos you've posted Rocko has a really nice cage. :)

#11 ·
Oh yeah? post some pics of your creations! its so fun to see all the cool creative projects everyone makes!

#13 ·
I picked up a purple cage for $25 from living jungle.

It's small, light, and easily fits one bird in it. Two at the most. Only for travelling.

I also wrote on the front of it that it was a travel cage, and not stable for housing.

Before I bought it, I saw a lady telling another lady that it was the cage she had for her cockatiel, because it didn't need more space than that. I was horrified, and I think the other lady was too!
So I wrote on it, as a subtle hint to anyone who ever saw me carrying it, that it was not a suitable cage for any bird to live in...IMHO.

I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#14 ·
Thats very cute as a carrier, people who treat their pets so poorly should not be allowed to own them in my opinion, the smallest cage i've used was 30x18x18 and i have a 18x18x24 only for camping or weekend trips. :) but i'm currently looking at the nice 32x20x64 flight cages

#16 ·
Honestly i wouldn't use a small cage for budgies either being as they love flying about. Not sure why most people get such little cages like that

#17 ·
I use this carrier for Sunny for short trips- to the vet, etc. He has a larger travel cage that we use for longer trips. I like it a lot, although it has a sandy perch which I'm not really in favor of, but I just cover it with a cloth. He spends most of his time looking out the "windows" anyway and it has a ring to attach a toy to also.

http://www.shop.com/Parrotopia_WILD...n_-700537846-736319921-p+.xhtml?sourceid=1414

#18 ·
Ooohhh! Why don't you like sand perches?

#20 ·
Hmmm something i might look further into, i thought they were for their nails. My swing has a sand perch.

#22 ·
D: really?! Welp time to find a new swing!

#24 ·
Thats so weird. I mean i've had the sand perch swing for a couple years without any issues but i'll be replacing it with a wood one now that i know it has a potential to be dangerous.

#25 ·
I have a parrot club display cage and a carrying case that's made for small animals such as rabbits and rats that I use for transport to friends' place, etc. It has pockets and zippers. It's handy for trips on the bus. The parrot club cage is rather small for them to live in but works well for when they're on display for 2-5 hours.

#26 ·
I tried googling that but found nothing, would you happen to have a picture or link of/to it?

#27 ·
Thats so weird. I mean i've had the sand perch swing for a couple years without any issues but i'll be replacing it with a wood one now that i know it has a potential to be dangerous.
The potential danger is if there aren't many other perches in the cage. I have one concrete swing in the cage and that's it. All the rest are either rope perches or branches. Variety is key, but really, if you have different size branch perches, you really don't need the sand one. I believe overingesting it can cause crop impaction issues. Its just something to be aware of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.