Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Egg pipping and chirping

16K views 39 replies 5 participants last post by  angelmommy24 
#1 ·
At what point do I worry? Last night I noticed a crack in the egg and when I put the egg to my ear I could hear the baby working on the egg this morning a diamond shape cross like mark is now on the egg and since about noon I can actually hear the baby from the egg chirping? How long do I wait before assisting?

#3 ·
At least 48hrs...any sooner and the blood vessels and yolk wont be absorbed. The chirping you are hearing is the baby absorbing the yolk, every big loud chirp is a lil bit of the yolk being pulled into the body. So you've got plenty of time still.

#6 ·
You count from when you saw the first pip mark...I've had some where they start chipping then take two full days to hatch and I've had others that hatched out within half an hour of me seeing the first pip mark (ninja babies:p).

Reactions: Artchimamma
#7 ·
Ok thank you!!!! Stupid question I noticed also near the diamond like cross there is about an inch long crack that I circled it was there yesterday morning a few hours before the other pip marks (I circle all marks I see lol) with a sharpie) would the cracks (which had gotten bigger be considered PIP MARKS? Just so I know the timeframe? Is the egg size ok I know the other egg is 5 grams and but this one is 4grams

#13 ·
Here are a few pictures I just got I didn't notice any new pips still see the star like pips and the few cracks in the egg but nothing really new still hear him chirping away & I do hear him working at it Sorry I hope these pictures help some Im using my phone :(

Attachments

#15 ·
The air cell is too large. If there are no active looking blood veins leading up to the edge of the air cell you might want to put a small hole in the top of the air cell to see inside, and if the membrane is white and dried looking, use a Q-tip or a small paint brush to wet the membrane.

#20 ·
If you are seeing a couple veins then the chick is not ready. BUT with the large air cell, which is an indication of dehydration the veins could be stuck to the inside walls of the shell, and the yolk is not going to fully retract until the blood is drawn in. A catch 22 :(

What I have done, very carefully is to use a needle and pick a hole in the top. OR is one off those pipmarks is above the solid mass in the egg then he can start there.

#27 ·
Keep an eye on the size of those veins, as they go down the closer to when you may have to assist out of the egg. Can you feel the chick thumping and kicking in the shell? Many times this is done when it is drawing in the yolk. The little one will most likely be dehydrated after hatch. If so, let the down dry first and then feed a drop of fluid. If you can get Coconut water from the grocery store this is the best thing to use for rehydration.

#28 ·
Yes I can definetley feel the thumping and I've felt that since last night :) so that's good right ? Veins are definitely not large and I will get coconut water and will keep everyone posted I have to run to the hospital my niece is havig emergencey surgery but I will be back in about 2 hours and will post on egg and maybe bay will decide to hatch on his own I'll lee everyone posted thank you!

#29 ·
I too will be gone for a couple hours.

If the thumping, and chirping has gone on since last night it sounds like the little one wants out. The veins, if they are very thin looking may be collapsed veins adhered to the inside of the shell....if so the blood may already be drawn in. Looking into the top of the egg (wet the membrane first) helps because if the veins are not showing there then they may be collapsed (meaning blood no longer flowing) and the chick is ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.