Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Can birds eat oatmeal every day?

33K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Luti-Kriss 
#1 ·
So I gave my tiels oatmeal oats for the first time today. They really love it. It's just plain oatmeal oats from a container. Nothing in or on them. Can my birds eat this stuff as an every day snack? Or am I just supposed to give it to them as a treat?

#2 ·
As long as the quantity they're eating is reasonable, I don't know of any reason they can't have it every day. Oat groats are a standard part of most birdseed mixes, and oatmeal oats are the same thing in flattened form. Oats are very nutritious but they're also fairly high in calories so don't go overboard with them.

#7 ·
I was feeding it to them dry. I took it away after I realized it lol. It won't happen again
Dry is OK actually, as long as the quantity is a modest, non-crop-impacting amount. Birds eat a lot of dry food without problems, including raw dry oat groats in their seed mix.

I like to eat a little dry oatmeal myself - it's tasty that way!

#9 ·
Crop impaction is when the crop is packed tight with food or other material that the bird can't digest. It's a major problem with baby birds who are getting food that is too difficult for them to digest. It usually doesn't happen with healthy adult birds unless they've done something crazy like eating a large amount of indigestible material. If the amount of oatmeal is moderate and your bird has access to drinking water, you shouldn't have any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.