Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Feeder Type/Refilling Seed

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Lore 
#1 ·
Chippy, our budgie, has silo food & water dispensers, & I love them! But I can't seem to find something similar for Hazel. Her cage bars are vertical, & the doors swing out instead of sliding up. She has cups right now which is alright, but I feel like the water doesn't stay as clean & I can't really tell when she needs new seed.

So, what feeder/waterer do you recommend? And until we switch to a silo type, how often should I be switching out her seed? I'm torn between making sure my baby doesn't get hungry & not wasting seed. Lol

#2 ·
food and water cups

It's a good idea to change the water every day to keep it fresh, and more often if it gets dirty. Same thing with the seed cups. You don't have to fill them all the way, then you're not wasting seed. Be sure to give your birds other foods besides seed, too: veggies and any fruit they will eat. My Bennie doesn't like any fruit that i know of, but will eat broccoli, peas, corn and may nibble on carrots if i shred them.

#4 ·
At school they use silos for the smaller birds and I can't say I am a fan of them personally. The seed silos have to be checked a fee times a day because the birds leave a lot of empty seed hulls on top of the seeds, and end up going hungry because they can't find the seeds underneath. Their water silos really often get just as messy as the water bowls the parrots and other larger birds have... Maybe it's just the birds at school that do this, though. :lol:

I prefer the steel cups. They're easy to clean and durable. Whenever I'm not sure if Puck has eaten all of his food, I just go outside and softly blow the empty seed hulls out of the bowl. You can easily see if there is anything left that way. I get Puck a fresh bowl of his mix when he has eaten so much that the "leftovers" will not last him a full day, or when he has pooped in it and it needs to be washed.

I once dropped a bowl that was empty or almost empty to the bottom of his cage. So the hulls were all over the bottom of it. As I washed his bowl I could hear him searching on the bottom for any dropped seeds. He spent a good half hour like that, even though I had given him a fresh bowl of seeds in his cage! Silly bird :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.