Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

How do we look?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Janalee 
#1 ·
Dante is in a small, temporary cage right now. I'm waiting for the next available paycheck to buy a cage four times this size off amazon. (Can't wait, I don't like him being in such a small cage after he's lived in an aviary so long)

But, for the next couple of months, how does this look to you guys? I keep buying him toys whenever I go to the store, but he won't play with any of them. Soft toys, rope toys, beaded toys, plastic chains, paper tubes... you name it. He won't play with anything. Sigh.

Mostly he just sits in that one spot and waits for me to take him out. Makes me feel especially bad on the days I can't hold him much. He's a social little guy. I'm trying to find him a companion, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable putting a second bird in this little cage.

The food dishes are small, because if I offer him anything bigger he... uses them, uh, recreationally.

He's eating primarily CHOP with some seed mixed in, and the local bird shop's cockatiel mix seeds, with a dish full of pellets for free choice. He gets healthy table scraps (salads, fruits, veggies, whole grain noodles, etc) though his favorite is to share my Ritz crackers.

Ah, and just today I switched his water bowl out for one of those silo waterers.

Video of him in his cage: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn0ehhusa0zhnwo/20161027_145549.mp4?dl=0

Assorted pics, just for fun.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bkaxxmxibwbtl8/20161027_114022.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwteceadsbjxu9a/20161027_113957.jpg?dl=0

His favorite place to snooze:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3ossl8dg632e56/20161026_230842.jpg?dl=0

Thoughts? Suggestions? Critiques?

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks like you have all the basics covered! His cage is huge! I wish I hadn't left behind my one that was the same size. It would have been great for weaning chicks. But I digress....

As for his toys - have you tried bonking them around with your nose for a minute or so, so he learns that they're toys? Sometimes it takes a while for the light to click on in their feathery heads, LOL

#3 · (Edited)
At the risk of sounding nuts, I introduce him to toys while he's sitting on my shoulder. I lip at the toys and pretend to eat them. He's interested in that, but once I hang them in his cage they're huge scary demons that he is convinced will eat him. Sigh.

ETA:

Yeah, for 'tiels who have always lived in cages it's probably okay, but the aviary I built for him when he was living with my friend was eight feet long by four feet wide by six feet high.So in comparison, I feel guilty about this itty bitty thing. lol Especially since all he does in this one when he isn't eating is to just sit in that one spot and sleep or pointedly solicit to be let out.

#5 ·
I used that exact cage for my breeding pairs!!! I love that cage!

I don't think you're introducing the toys slowly enough. You playing with them is all well and good, but then you're just tossing them in the cage. Start off with them next to the cage. Once they no longer scare him at a distance move them closer. It may take some time for him to get used to them, but by slowly moving them close and closer to him they become less frightening.

#6 ·
I can always tell when Zoe's ready for new toys to be placed in her cage, because she stops avoiding them on the coffee table and starts making an effort to go check them out. Usually ones she starts picking at stuff sitting on the coffee table, she's fine with it dangling in her cage

#7 ·
how do we look

I love the pic of him sleeping up against your neck. That's so sweet! My female 'tiel, Meshach, used to do that. I loved when she'd sit up close with her wing touching my cheek and take a nap like that. I always tried to be so careful about moving so not to disturb her. Bennie is not much of a snuggler. He will sit on my shoulder occasionally, but doesn't stay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.