Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

How often do female cockatiels do this?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  roxy culver 
G
#1 ·
#2 ·
Only one of my females has ever been nesty, but she never did masturbate. Regardless of that though, it does not mean that they will lay eggs and it does not change their ability to be good pets.

A see-through seed guard likely will not effect hormones.

#4 ·
Roo also gets nesty and masturbates periodically, but she has yet to lay eggs. For the record, males get hormonl and masturbate also. When my male is in the mood, I have to repeatedly kick him off my hand to stop him from using it as his personal pleasure object. :rolleyes:

#5 ·
You know what.....maybe rusty is a female. That is exactly what he...now I am thinking she was doing when I thought she was singing. So maybe what I saw wasn't heart wings. Had them out a little bit but not much.

So if Rusty is a girl...I am not thinking she is...she has done that now twice. So, that is what they do when they want to nest?

G
#6 ·
Years ago when I owned cocktiels I never experienced any hormonal behaviors from my tiels. I always used to cover the cage every night at 8pm and someone would uncover it at 9am so they got plenty of night hrs. Maybe that was helping.

I did have one female tiel though who would constantly lay eggs. Asides from that I never noticed anything.

#9 ·
My girls have boys so they've never masturbated that I've seen and since I've had them all on the long nights treatment I haven't had any mating in months. My girls don't lay eggs unless I provoke them too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.