Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Does anyone have a female that talks?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Orcascove 
#1 ·
My female grey often behaves more like a male - ie. singing, wolf whistling etc. And I swear she is trying to talk now. I have only had the girls about a month, but every day when I uncover their cage I say "Hello ladies", and tonight I swear she tried to reply hello. I have read online that females are not known for talking. Does that translate to possible although not common? Am I completely off in my thinking here? Is it possible? Does anyone here have a female that talks?

#4 ·
They are reported about 4 years old.

#3 ·
We once had a rather noisy, chatty female as well as another who also held her own. These were both proven females. From what I understand, it's an issue of the female's temperament being quiet, whereas the male is typically gregarious; not the female's inability to speak.

#5 ·
Thats kind of what I thought when it said "not known for talking" that to me means rare but possible. And my Kensi girl is anything but quiet.. LOL! she sings and whistles, and chatters away in birdy sounds, so while I was amazed at what I swear was a hello from her, I guess I wasn't really surprised. I think I will just keep at my customary greeting, and see what develops..

#7 ·
My Peachy can say cookie, whistle what you doing, does the attention whistle, kissing sound and does atchoo for sneezing lol
She can nearly whistle pretty bird

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
I have a female....and she's as quiet as a mouse! She RARELY even let's out a peep. if she does it will be one short squawk haha. She's only 5 1/2 months though so that could change and maybe she'll chirp in the future haha. I live in an apartment though so it works out pretty well. ;)

#9 ·
I had a female that talked. She was a pearl, and she never lost her pearls so even though she never laid an egg, I assume she was a she.
She had quite an ability, she could:
-wolf whistle
-say the name of her cage mate, Jerry (the only word said Jerry could say, I think "he" was actually a "she")
-cough and sneeze exactly like my mum (and only at the same time of day that mum did it - the morning)
-dial like the phone, ring the phone, answer the phone and laugh like my mum
-say "birdy-bird" and make kissing noises.

#10 ·
I was actually just thinking the same thing. Every time I talk to peanut I say hello pretty bird, anyway this morning I came down and my hubby said she has been making funny noises all morning, I went over said my usual hello pretty bird and she said nothing. Then about 10 minuets later we heard a very "hello" like sound from peanut and then "hello pretty bird".

That said we dont know if peanut is male or female as she hasnt had her first molt yet, we are just going off the fact she is a cinnamon/pearl.

#11 · (Edited)
Well I'm definately going to keep listening, I imagine if she replied once she will do so again. When I took in the girls, I did so thinking only males talked, because thats what I was familiar with. I had a male lutino when I was a girl, his name was Maxie, and he talked. Only had a few phrases, but he was my baby. He would get on my head, and burrow his feet in my hair saying "Maxie's feet are cold" or sit on my shoulder rubbing his head on my cheek saying "love my momma". Little things like that.. He was free to roam in my room when we were out. Or the entire apartment when we were home. Unfortunately my mom's friend who was staying with us a few months, thought it would be a good idea to hang sticky fly papers in the kitchen one day and didn't tell anyone. My mom came home from work and let Maxie out as usual... And it ended badly. Needless to say, I was (and still am) a VERY unhappy girl when I came home from school to find out Maxie had flown into one of those sticky traps and bled to death pulling out feathers and toe nails trying to get free before my mom found him. I still to this day can't fathom why a grown person would think sticky fly papers hanging in a house where a bird lives is a good idea. Apparently she has never heard of a fly swatter. - 30 years later I still haven't forgiven that lady. Whenever my mom brings her up, I just can't help myself from loathing her.

#16 ·
I will never forget, but I have room to love my new girls too. Thank you for your empathy.

#13 ·
Both my grey and pearl beauties whistle in the early morning hours and its melodic.
Theo(a girl) about 1x a month maybe for a day or a couple od days will start giving my other bird Vincent (also a girl) a lecture. It sounds scratchy, and garbled but has human intonations, and its like sh'e on a soap box. And Vincent will starte at her listening intently. Who knows maybe its a secret language?

I have had theo wolf whistle, usually in the early morning when the cages are covered.
They have free roam of the loft all day, so they will squawk when they want something like food, affection, light etc.

They will also fly to my shoulder, Vincent really likes the top of my head. So far she hasn't pooped on it in 4 years--been lucky i guess :)

They've taken to mating like behavior usually Theo will jumpon Vincents back and ride her like a bucking Bronco, it's kinda funny. But they both have layed eggs, so we are pretty sure they are girls. Theo is very well trained and will only act out to mimic Vincent. Vincent is a terror, psychotic, beautiful and needs love. :)

#15 ·
wow, only once huh? Well Kenzi hasn't said anything again so she may be a only once girl too, but I either way she is a part of the family, so talk or not.. she still loved. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.