Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Cockatiel Fluffed up still?

973 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chrissy055 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
So about a month ago, our Ava was being aggressive and biting me out of the norm and was fluffed up a lot. I took her to our vet who said she had a throat infection. We ended up giving her antibiotics for 3 weeks per our vet in total. We did have her rechecked and they said she was much better but just finish giving her the rest of the meds. She is much better now I still feel like. However, I just want to know if I worry since I'm a new owner and have only had Ava for 3 months so far. She is still fluffed up a bit. At night I feel like its normal since she relaxes and by the time I get home from work at 6:30 she is out with me till 9:30. Even during the day a bit on the weekends she is fluffy so I wanted to know is this normal then? Even when I turn up the heat and her cage says its 70-71 degrees she still does it like before.

Also, after reading books ect, I take apart her whole cage once a week for a good cleaning but we use hot water and organic soap. Is this good? I didn't want to use bleach per books as that is harmful and has toxins in it. Is this okay to use to clean the perches and cage like we do?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Not sure about the fluffing up....I would keep an eye on it and see if it improves :) If not, another vet trip may be in order.

As for using soap and water - sounds good to me! That's what I use for most of my birds stuff :) I also use lysol and rinse the living heck out of everything, as Oztiel said - cockatiels will chew most anything and I don't want to poison my brats!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.