Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Budgie with a Cockatiel?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ann 
#1 ·
I currently have one budgie, whose companion died recently, and I hate to see it alone, but I would really love to have a tiel, and my first bird was a tiel, but I was wondering if it would be ok to house them together, I do have 2 cages, but I would prefer them to be together since the budgie is not tamed...Any suggestions? Oh, and the cockatiel I would be getting from a breeder and friend of mine.

#2 ·
no, it usually doesnt work out. the budgie may bully the tiel and even hog the tiel's food. its not a good idea, budgies are more in your face and tiels are laid back... bad idea to house them together

#3 ·
My budgie was nice to my lucky when i only had her but then he turned on her,
my female budgie bullied her alot and was really nasty towards her :(

#6 ·
I have a budgie and cockatiel in the same cage, but it is a large cage. They are great friends and my budgie feeds my cockatiel by regurgitating food for him. I understand this is probably rare, however...

The other concern is each birds' differing dietary requirements... I put each type of food in their own dish near each bird's favorite perch and they eat their own food for the most part, sampling each other's dishes every now and again.

The cockatiel has helped the budgie's life become more enriched, he is now able to come out and fly around with him. The budgie is also getting more gutsy and tries to land on our shoulders if Elvis the cockatiel is there.

#7 ·
Most will say they shouldn't be in the same cage. With that being said, I have had great success with having a budgie and a tiel in the same cage. I think the main reason it worked was because both were male! I doubt that a female budgie would have been a very good "friend" for my tiel!! Like most set-ups, it most likely depends upon the personality of the fids!

#8 ·
i agree its the personality of them, but these stories here are exceptions and dont often work out that way.

by all means, you can try it out and see how it goes, but have a spare cage handy in case things go wrong. just be cautious with it. a tiel can hurt a budgie even if theyre more laid back birds. and a budgie can possibly bully the tiel from the food... but as pointed out, good things CAN happen... i'd just be cautious...

#9 ·
I agree it's not a good idea at all to keep them in the same cage.

I allow the budgies out with the 'tiels under supervision and they do all get along. But there is some food dish skirmishes that usually involve the bird shoving one or the other out of the way. I've seen the budgies bully the 'tiels aside and I've also seen the 'tiels, especially Ronan, through the budgie aside.

And yet all the birds are friends and I've seen mutual grooming between Tiki, one of my female 'tiels and Tristan my youngest budgie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.