Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Hand Feeding Issues with Wiggles and Spike

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  vampiric_conure 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Tropican changed their formula recipe for handfeeding formula? I changed bags of food not yesterday, but the day before and ever since my boogers have lost interest in eating. Not a huge amount - they're down to two feedings a day but they only eat half their food per meal. They beg, eat half their meal then reject the rest of their food. They're starting to fledge (They're 38-39 days old) so their rejection of formula may be that. Plus I've caught Spike pecking at adult food. They don't cry for food when in the weaning cage, so I must be doing something right.

So stressed out right now, LOL. I want healthy babies!

#2 ·
I'd say they've just cut back because they're about to fledge. Just keep offering them food and weighing them to make sure they don't drop too much weight. I found that offering zoe and panda small amounts more often helped a little, but for the most part they just didn't want it.

Sam is almost weaned and is starting to get funny about his one formula feed of the day. He screams the house down when he wants it, eats half of it and lets me know he's had enough my attacking the F out of the spoon which sends formula flying all over. It's so annoying lol. Afterwards I usually plop him down somewhere with a bowl of veggies and he's quiet for at least an hour :p

I used to get so stressed when my chicks stopped eating or cut back on formula because I was terrified they weren't eating enough and would lose too much weight and get sick. But with Sam i've just stopped caring so much LOL. It's scary, but they know what they're doing. Sam took himself back up to two feeds a day recently but has now dropped himself down to one again so weaning is near. (this is common in eclectus chicks)

If they're healthy in every other aspect I wouldn't worry too much!

#3 ·
I agree with Shaenne. Sounds like fledging behavior. Keep offering them the formula and adult food, they'll figure it out when they're hungry!

#4 ·
Thank you! I was paranoid that I was doing something wrong :) The babies are currently content as they sleep in the new breeding cage.

#6 ·
Thank you everybirdy :D I feel much better now. Wiggles wasn't impressed with his morning or evening feeding today. Spike ignored most of her morning meal, but ate like a pig this evening. Fledglings are sooo confusing, LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.