Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Cage Setup! (:

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Gecko 
#1 · (Edited)
First of all... This cage is huuuuge @_@ With the addition of the playtop (it arrived too badly bent to use; I'm working on getting a replacement part) it'll be taller than I am. It was an amazing deal, too.. Amazon for the win! Anyway, I got a few pics of the current setup so I can get some pro tips on fun, practicality, and safety. :) Getting good photos of a cage is way harder than it looks.. serious props to you all, lol.

It was fun trying to think like a cockatiel while I was setting it up! I was careful not to put perches over food/water/forage bowls :p

The whole shebang.. (No worries about the mirror behind the cage.. I'll relocate it before I get my bird :p) I have all different kinds of toys and items in here so I can figure out what birdie likes.

The right side of the cage.. I thought I'd use these two bowls for pellets/seeds and fresh food. There's a cuttlebone between them (I never realized how BAD cuttlebone smells!! I caught a whiff of it on my hand and almost gagged o__o) and a fun wicker/wood/leather/bell/etc. toy above the grapevine perch.

Another view.. you can see a fan toy, a shreddy pouch thing jammed with popsicle sticks, and a plastic ball with a bell inside (it spins freely on the branch.. thought that might be fun).

The front left corner, with a fuzzy corner thing :) It's supposed to help with drafts.. and I've heard some tiels just like something soft to snuggle against~

And.. the owl xD I found this at Michael's and thought it was adorable (and probably fun to chew on). I'm not sure if it might pose a hazard, though, if birdie pulls off its eyes or something. I found it has a styrofoam core when I poked a hole through it, but it's *really* solidly built.. I think even the most destructive tiel would have trouble ripping it apart. Whatcha think, guys?
EDIT; The owl is outta there. :)

Front left corner.. the hardwood perch is parallel and close to the cage opening for easy in/out. The blocky toy and the ladder came with the travel cage I bought, so I just tossed 'em in. There's also a shreddy kabob toy next to the owl.

Apologies for the motion sickness.. I didn't realize I bumped the camera :p Top/left/front corner. The swing also came with the travel cage.. I don't think most tiels care for swings, but I tossed it in (x

Back left corner.. I thought it'd be a good idea to put the water on the other side of the cage from the food to discourage dunking :) I also experimentally added a crock for foraging fun.

Close-up of the forage bowl.. I'm not really sure what to put in there @_@ I'll probably toss a few nutriberries in when I add the bird. Right now it's got seagrass and willow sticks (rodent chew toys), shredded paper, wooden beads, and plastic critter beads.

And.. I think that's about it :) What say you, tiel experts?

EDIT; Oh, and fun fact: I'm moving in a month. To a second-floor apartment. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?! xD I might have to break it down for transport.. ughh

See less See more
#2 ·
i would remove the owl decoration... the dyes in it may not even be safe... and i wouldnt risk the styrofoam. tsuka can break plastic beads and popsicle sticks and wood blocks... styrofoam would be a piece of cake to him...

and the mirror, just be cautious theyre not overly obsessed with it. if not, its fine :)

#4 ·
It looks great, you done a wonderful job. :)

I am honestly not sure about the owl, but when you get your new baby just keep close supervision just in case. Everything else looks perfect, and the cage IS big, your new baby will have so much fun in there. :D

Eta: just seen you removed the owl so you can ignore the first sentence in the second paragraph!

#5 ·
that and the wood used on it may be treated or of unsafe wood... you never know.

the cage set up is great though, your tiel(s) will be lucky!

#7 · (Edited)
@Solace: Thank you!! :) I'll definitely keep an eagle eye on my little one when I get him/her (if only because s/he's too cute to resist! Lol). I love how big the cage is lol. It was a little daunting when I first started adding furniture, but I think I've got it to a good proportion of things to do and flapping space :D

@Dally: Very good point :) And thanks!! I hope so lol; I'm going to spoil him/her rotten!

@sarah: Thanks so much! (x Lol I just raided Petco online.. they have so many fun-looking toys~

----------

Wow, I forgot to mention the nondescript top right corner :p The pink thing is a ~6" calcium (?) perch and there's a toy with wooden blocks and knotted/tasselly rope above it. Both came in the travel cage.. doesn't look especially fun, but it's something to fill that space, I guess. :)

Alsooo: A fun addition to the outside :) Once the playtop is fixed up, I'll leave the door open for playtime and birdie can take the Booda Express to the top of the cage~

I bought a bunch of supplies from Petsmart/Michael's/Walmart todaayy~ Starting on a forage toy.. muahahaha :)<

EDIT;

IT'S ALIIIIVEEEEE~~~ (Note to self: STUFF BALL LAST)

I love the critter beads <333 So cute!

#9 ·
I ordered a very similar cage (same size and setup) in white and I also have been an online-ordering fool, so I've been paying close attention to what you did here.

It looks awesome!!!!

#11 ·
Thanks all! :) Glad I could be of some assistance, haha~

@Kate: Thanks for the tip! It's funny you should suggest that one.. I actually had it in my online shopping cart before Petco decided to randomly dump it. It's really expensive in-store, so I'll have to add that one next time I place an online order. :)

A few additions! :D

Decided to go for a more cockatiel-sized (and VERY noisy) swing.. It's hard to tell in my shoddy pics, but it offers pretty good access to nearby toys and perches. I hope it's not getting too crowded up there :p

I also picked up a couple more I'll hold out for now~ :) Shopping for birds is way too much fun, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.