Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Sick cockatiel

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  srtiels 
#1 ·
My cockatiel is very sick. She has been laying eggs for quite sometime now, even though I have tried to get her to stop (letting her sit on them until she stops, as I have heard is the thing to do.) She is about 8 or 9 years old. I found her on the floor 2 days ago, and put her back in the cage. She stays at the bottom and can't walk well or perch. She is eating. I have 2 other birds (cockatoo and hawkhead parrot.) She lays her eggs on the bottom of the hawkhead's cage. Unfortunately, I am unable to take her to the vet. I don't know what to do. Is there any home remedy I can do for her?

#4 ·
Get some liquid calcium, calcivet is the best thing to use. That aside she needs to see a vet, one that is competant with birds, she may have an infection. This may sound harsh to you but if you have pets you must be in a position to take them for treatment if they need it, you shouldn't keep pets if you can't, it's cruel to let them suffer.

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you Jess. Actually, I have had parrots for 40 years and take very good care of them. I lost a 40 year old blue front 2 years ago, after paying hundreds of dollars at the vet to care for him, only to end up putting my dear Brutus to sleep. It was like losing my right arm.

I inherited this cockatiel from my daughter when she went off to college. I don't know a whole lot about smaller birds, and never encountered any egg laying with my large birds, so this is very new to me.

This is the first time I haven't run to the vet immediately to care for my animals. I am trying a home remedy first, since my finances right now are on a shoe string.

I appreciate the answers I have received.

#6 ·
I'm sorry for your loss, I too have lost a couple of rescue large parrots to age and illness over the years.

Sorry the reply is a bit to the point but a good member left here recently because she couldn't take posts similar to yours anymore, I don't want others to go the same way. I hope your bird recovers as I'm sure you don't want anything to happen to her. You might be best off finding an experienced cockatiel owner to take her on if the egg laying/making herself poorly is going to be an on going problem.

#9 · (Edited)
Glad she is doing well.
Here is a link to a document I found very helpful when one of my Cockatiels prolapsed. It told me about an affordable injection HCG that can stop Cockatiels laying eggs. The vet writes me a prescription (they can't get the drug) it's costs me £4.95 at the chemist then a basic consult at the vets for him to administor it.
Quite a bit of info to take in but well worth a read for anyone who's had problems with cockatiels chronic egg laying, egg binding and prolpase.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...afesional/exo/17.doc&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

#10 ·
Great article Jess.

Below are some illustrations that I have been working on to add to the article I am writing. NOTE: during ovulation there is only one yolk traveling down the oviduct at a time...BUT when a hen ovulates the yolk spheres in the follicles will be devoping the yolk in sequence for the entire clutch. In doing so you can visually see why it is hard to stop laying once it starts, and until the clutch is layed. I beleive that each hen is probably genetically programmed to lay X amount of eggs per clutch, and if they are removed while laying the homones are going to stimulate the follicles to produce more yolk spheres.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.