Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Post Photos Of Your Cage!

428K views 2K replies 405 participants last post by  Lizy 
#1 ·
I'd love to see what type of cage or aviary you have for your cockatiels! It would be helpful to people looking to set up a cage for a new tiel too! :D

This is mine, it's dimensions are 18"d x 30"w x 33"h.

I have Cookie and Bailee in it and they seem to have lots of space, so both them and me are very happy with it.:)

See less See more
#1,566 · (Edited)
This is Puck's cage. What do you guys think?
Its measurements are 33.86in wide x 33.86 in high x 19.69 in deep.
(If I converted that correctly from my original measurements in centimeters, haha :p)

I've yet to take a picture of it with Puck and his stuff in there. The layout changes pretty regularly, but I keep forgetting to order more perches (including rope ones for the outside) and I haven't really had any time to go outside and look for safe wood from the area.
The first picture came off the internet (screenshot) from the previous owner's ad, but it shows of the size of the thing really well. And the second one with some stuff actually inside it (but from when I had my parrotlets)

#1,572 ·
Wow this post has been going a few years now! lol I will get a picture of my temporary aviary tomorrow! It's a 3feet by 6 feet shed that we converted. We have done a diagonal security door to maximise flight space. It houses all my birds in my signature lol yes I know that's a lot of birds for such a small aviary but it was meant to be TEMPORARY but that is where they have been for 2.5 years with no issues. Hopefully we can get the permanent one built this year once we are settled in to our new house.

#1,573 ·
This is Pucks cage. Size is roughly 35 inches high and wide, and 21 inches deep. Puck seems to really enjoy 'sunbathing' hence the current setup (first picture) of his cage, partially in front of the window. Half the cage stays within the shadows at all times, though!

#1,577 · (Edited)
Riley and Bailey are in an A&E flight cage, which seems to be a common choice for many cockatiel owners.

I have several different kinds of perches, including the 2 that came with it, in the cage and in addition to 2 swings. Also, lots of kabobs. I also get these 36 inch bamboo chains for $3.49 apiece on eBay, which my tiels absolutely enjoy chewing on. There's also a mirror in there for Riley. There's newspaper on the bottom of the cage to make it easier for them to walk on. Riley will tent it and even chew on it. There's also cuttlebone holder with a cuttlebone in it.

The stand got damaged in the move to WI 5½ months ago so that's why it's sitting on the floor.

(Riley is also in it. He's hiding behind Bailey.)

Attachments

#1,578 ·
This is my bird’s cage. I’ve only had it and the Alice for about a month, so we don’t have a bunch of fancy stuff yet.

She's much better at climbing the bars and doesn’t climb the ladder anymore to get to the top perches, so I’ll pribably rearrange the cage and use the ladder for a swing near the top next time I pull the perches out for cleaning.

Attachments

#1,579 ·
Wow! They all look so great! I'm taking notes on setups and will share pics soon - but pretty excited because we recently took in a cockatiel that came with her cage, a tiny 18"x 18" x 20" and JUST got the new one last night in the mail - a roomy 31" x 21" x 53" flight cage! Its looking pretty bare even with the toys from the old one. Happy Bird!

#1,581 ·
This is Attie's huge cage that he gets to live in all by himself. Yes, I left the critter ramps in - he's still unsure about his wings and has trouble getting to the top perches without it. He's been doing more climbing, though, so I'm going to start phasing the ramps out soon. (Please forgive the mess - took these photos after unboxing a few supplies and things weren't sorted yet.) ;)

Attachments

#1,582 ·
Hi all this is a picture of my cage for adult male and female cockatiels. They love the room and toys and the cage door is left opened during the day so they can play on the playgym on the top of the cage. The seed catcher was useless, but a plastic mat under the cage for easy clean up. They love flying on the fake tree next to the cage. Our pet parakeet also loves to play on it when the the cockatiels are inside the cage.

Attachments

#1,584 ·
Amaroq - I would recommend replacing at least some, if not most or all, of those dowel-like perches with more branch-like perches. Straight wood like dowels aren't very good for their feet - perches that have bumps and differences in circumference and various textures are better. And a variety is always good, too. Kirby has some pumice, some branch-like, a rope, and so on. It's fine for them to sit on dowel-like perches every now and then for a little while, but you want to make sure that they're primarily on 'bumpy' perches. Here's some pictures of what I mean:

https://cdn3.volusion.com/uakvg.mdecs/v/vspfiles/photos/BB1FRKSBMNZ-2.jpg

http://largebirdcagesforsale.com/wp...06/Islandwood-Single-Branch-Perch-Small-0.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...v8DUl5oNjuMITQ0EeS_TurGJc9rBY1KMclrbpMLkTStmI

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31QTaJNpndL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...rPo3XCyG_SraXh6aaXi0_yNB93-Q1cd7XDxAvzckmfx9U

And so on. Other than that, I always try to arrange Kirby's cage so that poop doesn't fall onto other perches/toys, and to try to have a toy be accessible for each perch. I also always keep one perch in the middle, back of the cage (his general favorite place to hang out during the day), one perch in his favorite spot to sleep, and one by each 'window'. I might change which perches these are, but I keep perches in those spots since he likes them.

#1,586 ·
Many years ago when I got my first tiels I remember reading about the cages they should be in. Apparently because tiels LOVE climbing the recommendation was to have the largest number of bars HORIZONTAL around all four sides of the cage.

Virtually ALL of the latest cages have the most horizontal bars on 2 opposing sides, some front and back, others each side, but the other 2 sides are mostly VERTICAL bars.

Got my baby tiel about 2 weeks ago and sure enough, she's having trouble negotiating the verticals. She's getting better at it but when she holds onto the verticals she slides down

Bird store I got her at basically said it doesn't matter and the bird will get used to it. I have no doubt she will but,,,,,,,,,,,,

What do you guys think about that ?

#1,587 ·
Hello, I am new here and I don't have my cockatiel yet as he is literally in his egg. I use to raise finches and I sold them all but I kept their flight cage and was wondering if it would be ideal for my new cockatiel. I had this set up for my parrotlet, but we are working on bonding and it is just too big for her. Please let me know what you think

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.