Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Cookie and Bailee - Breeding Journey

67K views 805 replies 39 participants last post by  huskymom 
#1 ·

Yes, i have surrendered to the persistent mating of Cookie and Bailee (and obviously i wouldn't have done if i didn't want the babies and any consequences). Gracie has moved into her old cage (her bachelorette pad) and Cookie and Bailee have been granted a (rather massive) nest box. I have to say that compared to a budgie nest box, the bulk of a tiel one is pretty surprising!! :lol:

Cookie thinks it's just brilliant. She's right into checking it out, nibbling it, peeking inside.

Bailee thinks mummy's shoulder looks much more inviting, but i'm sure when he figures that this gives Cookie even more reason to mate with him he'll like the nest box just as much. :rofl:

So everyone, here is where i'll update the journey of Cookie and Bailee as they (hopefully) raise a little family. Look out world, baby Bailee's are in the making. :eek:

See less See more
#779 ·
Not sure why, but that 3rd most recent pic makes me M-E-L-T!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

For some reason I keep seeing the names Cosmo or Cujo for him, I dont know why... I know you dont want to change it (from Snickers) but I had to let you know, he looks like a Cosmo or Cujo to me ;) hehe

What an adorable flock you have there Bea, you lucky thang :p

Kirby

#781 ·
For some reason I keep seeing the names Cosmo or Cujo for him, I dont know why... I know you dont want to change it (from Snickers) but I had to let you know, he looks like a Cosmo or Cujo to me ;) hehe
Cujo is the name of a rottweiler on a tv show i like, i'm not sure i could envision it on my little Snickers. :lol: He's definitely stuck on Persnickety. From that he gets Snickers and Snicks, but almost equally as often these days he gets Percy. :p

The photos look like Snickers is sitting at the "Grown Ups Table" It's a little like a smaller version of a Thanksgiving meal. :love:

An American thing, but noteworthy. Such as here:

You know what, Bea?

A many thanks to you for sharing the whole experience with everyone. With school and everything else you have on your plate, it was certainly something how you stuck with ieeping everyone in-tuned with the day-by-day details. Not only your verbage but pictures to boot!

THis might sound mushy, but I believe it's deserved.

Major Kudos :thumbu::thumbu:
I'm glad it's being enjoyed!! :D I've loved sharing the journey with everyone!

And i soooo know what you mean about Snickers looking like he's at the grown ups table. :p We don't have Thanksgiving obviously, but we've down that same seating arrangement at xmas time when we have lots of the family around.

#782 ·
Snickers had a surprise for me when i got home from a tiring and BORING day of school today!!!

Can you guess what it is???

Who's a big boy now!!

He somehow ended up there, which was either a very artistic tumble from up the top near the nest box, or he can jump/climb/fly and i'm not giving him enough credit.

This is a blessing really, because i've rearranged the cage to keep most things low and ladder like so Snickers can get around, and i've taken the nest box out and just put an upside down shoebox with an entry hole on the floor with some wood shavings in it for Snickers. Hopefully this has happened soon enough to discourage Cookie from laying.

Here are some more photos of my little bubba trying out the new down low feeding zone. I put it low to make sure he could reach, but also to make sure Cookie and Bailee would visit Snickers level regularly. ;)

Tired baby!

#788 ·
What an adorable big boy he now is :love:

That flight video is awesome too! He looked so confused and funny after he perched on your finger, and had the classic "Whoa dude! What just happened!" look on his face ;) hehe *melt*

Kirby

ps- Percy was the name I almost named Memphis and even Maya (when I 1st got her and thought she was a male) hehe. I love the name! ;)

Kirby

#789 ·
My little man just had some warm mashed banana for morning tea. I think that has been his favourite food so far, it went down even better than mashed sweet potato! He's only 72-73g empty now, at his peak he was 78g empty. I think it'll improve again when he figures out how to eat more on his own. He certainly seems noisy, happy and curious, and his poops are normal (though small if it's been a while since Cookie or Bailee fed him).

#791 ·
Snickers had a second feed of mashed bananas at lunch time. I think he's getting fed a little bit from Bailee, a little bit that he's eating from the seed and veggie bowls (his beak has certainly got stronger, i noticed when he was nibbling my fingers today), and the mushy foods i offer him throughout the day. I'm about to upload some more photos of the family and i'll post them soon! :D

#792 ·
Here are some new photos for today! To begin with Cookie left a present on the cage floor.

Now for some birdy photos! I took some of Cookie, Bailee and Snickers.

This is a terrible photo of a once in a life time event. It lasted about 1 second in total! Cookie scratched Bailee's head!!!!!

She'll never do it again though. That 1 second was enough to last Bailee a life time according to her!

This is what Snickers thinks of smoochy parents...

EWWWWW!!!

We have had a lot more flying practice today. He's spectacularly good at flying up, hitting the roof and tumbling down, though he has managed to fall to some ideal perching spots (e.g. cage top, my finger, pillow).

I love this photo, if you look closely you can see Bailee licking Snickers eye, hehe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.