Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health > Food And Nutrition

Notices

Food And Nutrition Post any questions you may have about your cockatiels diet here. Also feel free to share any cockatiel recipes you may know of.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
juniorhues is on a distinguished road
Default ISO Tiel and Budgie Recipe

I have two cockatiels and a budgerigar. I see loads of really nice fresh food recipes but some of them don't seem tiny bird friendly. They all live in the same cage and eat from multiple food dishes. I used to seperate the food but now I mix it all together since they odn't have a preference for which food tray to eat from.

Ever since I got a dracaena and boston fern for my cockatiels they've absolutely loved it and have shown to really enjoy leafy greens and will even eat some after their seed mix.

Currently I have a giant tub that I mix cockatiel and budgie feed, as well as fine grain Harrison's pellets that they all eat. I REALLY want to do a fresh diet with veggies and leafy greens but I need something that fits the beaks of all three birds.

I would like it if I could make this mixture/mash and use it over the course of a few weeks possibly, I don't have time EVERY day to make something, but even every other day would work for me.

If it can be frozen or chilled, even better!

None of the birds have any dietary restrictions or needs, they won't readily accept new food when offered but they were afraid of the fern for only about a day before they tasted it. All three are fully grown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
AutumnElf is on a distinguished road

I'm going to talk about the budgie to accommodate this smaller bird My budgie eats whatever leaves I put in for her. No need to cut or chop. You could try grating other veggies - carrots and apple maybe. Even people like grated veggies! They like dandelion so pick some greens from your yard if it isn't sprayed with pesticides.

You can clip a piece of broccoli to the side of the cage.

I worked in a bird sanctuary. There were big and small birds of all kinds. They all got their size of seeds. All got millet or a honey-seed bar treat from time to time. But every morning the owner takes all the bird cups to the kitchen, lays them across her counter, and fills them with mixed fruit and veggies she chopped. No grating. The little birds and the big birds all got the same sized pieces. So no worries. If they like the food they will find their ways to get their little beaks in it!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Nimra is on a distinguished road

My birds used to love carrots, leafy greens (no need to chop them), and hot red dried chili peppers. I am not so sure about giving them frozen food though, as it might be a little hard to eat. Plus frozen food/veggies are packaged, and I would just not feed packaged or tin food to my birds. All birds love kale, even though it is not a common veggie in all areas. For example, Kale is very rare in my city.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
juniorhues is on a distinguished road

Thanks both of you! I like the logic behind budgies eating any size leafy greens, that's perfect!

It doesn't have to be already frozen vegetables, I was hoping for a fresh vegetable recipe that I could then chill and/or freeze later.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Nimra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhues View Post
Thanks both of you! I like the logic behind budgies eating any size leafy greens, that's perfect!

It doesn't have to be already frozen vegetables, I was hoping for a fresh vegetable recipe that I could then chill and/or freeze later.
Well, I never made anything like that, but I'm sure that you could do that, if only you let them thaw a bit after taking them out of the freezer. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
AutumnElf is on a distinguished road

You could also try making birdie muffins.There are recipes online, but you can mix into the main mix whatever you like...berries, nuts, and grated carrots....it would be like a fruity carrot bread 😃 You could make a batch of these and freeze them. Then pull out one to thaw and break sections off over the next day or so for the peepers to eat.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

There are some nutrients (like Vitamins D3 and B12) that simply aren't found in plant foods, so please don't take the pellets out of their diet. But a good mash recipe is likely to be an improvement over the seed part of their diet, and could be used to replace some of the seeds. The Feedingfeathers Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/535489376462594/ has mash recipes in their files that have been run through a nutrition calculator to make them as nutritionally complete as possible within the constraints of using plant-based foods, so the Vitamin D could still be an issue. You have to join the group to see it.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/

Last edited by tielfan; 05-13-2017 at 02:08 PM..

Tags
budgerigar, cockatiel, fresh, leafy, recipe