Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk

Notices

Cockatiel Talk Talk about anything cockatiel related here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
datlamb is on a distinguished road
Default is a cockatiel the right pet for me?

i've been researching parrots lately, thinking what bird will be right for me?

i'd like a parrot that is gentle and likes scritches, just like cockatiels ! however, i cannot stand their whistles. they just irk me.
so, my question is, what sort of noises do female cockatiels do, as i know they are generally quieter.
i know that being female is no guarantee that the tiel will not whistle, and that i first need to see the bird and it's behavior.

my second question is, will a tiel be able to entertain itself while i am gone? if provided toys and a working radio, will it be enough?

third question is, what is your general experience with tiels? what does it usually do when outside of the cage and when it is with you? do they mostly play or explore or rather sit calmly with you?

i've been mostly researching parrotlets and budgies until now, is there a big difference in their dietary needs (other than needing a tiel seed mix, haha )?

edit: another question.

i know that the dander is mostly a problem with allergies or respiratory problem, and makes cleaning more often. are there any other problems caused by it?

Last edited by datlamb; 04-25-2017 at 10:50 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
CaliTiels is on a distinguished road

If you want it straight, I'm going to say no. Birds are noisy animals, and if their whistle sounds irritate you, I'd say a cockatiel is not a good choice. Never had a hen tiel, but even then, it's no guarantee she wouldn't whistle. Some hens can learn a simple whistle, so I'd rather you not have to live with that if it's not fit for you.

Cockatiels are my very favorite bird. The 2 I've owned were both cocks, and not quiet by any means. My current tiel Jaid is the noisiest bird I've ever owned, and I've had a few different species of little guys since 2011. Funnily enough, the quietest bird I've ever owned is my blue crown conure, which is an aratinga conure, who have a reputation to be extremely loud parrots.

Might I suggest a bourke parakeet? They were very quiet and gentle birds who are pretty much identical to a cockatiel's personality. They're calmer than budgies, quieter than them too, and cannot bite as hard as a parrotlet can. Great birds all around. I could see you being happy with one of them
Old 04-25-2017, 06:03 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Vickitiel is on a distinguished road

My female 'tiels can out-scream my males... so if you don't like the sound they make, I wouldn't recommend getting one.

+ Georgie the Indian Ringneck and 'tiel sisters Cheeky and Squeaky

Thank you Stephanie (CaliTiels) for the signature!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Haimovfids is on a distinguished road

Check out this link: https://www.thespruce.com/quiet-pet-bird-species-390545

Cockatiels are on the list, but I too, don't recommend one if you don't like the whistling, because tiels are very known for their singing ability.

Edit: I'm not completely sure if only the whistles bother you, or if the occasional screams bother you too.

Quote:
No Birds Are Silent

While these birds don't make the raucous sounds many other species do, be assured that no birds are completely quiet. It simply isn't in their nature to be that way. Birds are quite social and with that social nature, vocalizations are simply they way they are made to behave.
-Taken from article above.

Last edited by Haimovfids; 04-25-2017 at 06:26 PM..
Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
datlamb is on a distinguished road

thank you all so much for your comments!
the reason i don't like their whistles specifically is because is it very high pitched and irritated my ears. i've listened to other cockatiel vocalisation and it was fine. only the whistling bothers me.

bourke's parakeet are so sweet! i wish i could get one but they are not very popular where i live ( israel ), and i've never seen a handfed one here.

could you still answer my other questions? even if i won't get a cockatiel i'm still curious about those. thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Haimovfids is on a distinguished road

my second question is, will a tiel be able to entertain itself while i am gone? if provided toys and a working radio, will it be enough?

How long will you be gone for? Cockatiels will be able to entertain themselves with toys, but they also require some human attention daily.

third question is, what is your general experience with tiels? what does it usually do when outside of the cage and when it is with you? do they mostly play or explore or rather sit calmly with you?

They like to play and explore, and they also like to relax on shoulders. Cockatiels are definitely more calmer than the other types of parrots.

i've been mostly researching parrotlets and budgies until now, is there a big difference in their dietary needs (other than needing a tiel seed mix, haha )?

Not really. Cockatiels require seeds, pellets, and veggies. That's basically it. Some birds like fruits, but tiels aren't one of them. You can add a cuddle bone for extra calcium, but that's basically it.

edit: another question.

i know that the dander is mostly a problem with allergies or respiratory problem, and makes cleaning more often. are there any other problems caused by it?

Cockatiels are apart of the cockatoo family, so yes, they are much more dusty than the other birds, unless you have allergies, you should be fine vacuuming once a week. If you do have allergies, you will need to invest in a HEPA air purifier.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
vampiric_conure is on a distinguished road

While the others answer your other questions, I'll answer the one on dander

Cockatiels can be quite dusty and if you have a lot of them, like I do, you will need to dust or vacuum regularly. Bathing your birds with either a spray bottle or a bowl of water should keep most dust at bay. It will also help if you have an air purifier. I don't know how I lived without mine!

Mindwipe - f, g, 15yrs
Redshift - m, g, 14 yrs
Firestorm -f - pearl WF - 2.5 yr
Sideswipe-M -grey-5 years
Strongarm-F-Pearl - 2yrs
August, M, WCPi, 13yrs
Slugfest, M, Budgie, 1 yr
Swoop, F, Budgie, 1yr

and the medical alert service dog, Aaerro (Whippet/Iggy cross), F, 9 yrs
Closed Thread