Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:52 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
FregO is on a distinguished road
Default Strange beak color

Hey everyone.
I got 2 very old Cockatiels like a half year ago. I never had cockatiels before but I do have budgies since my chield hood.
One of the cockatiels unfortunately passed away short after he(or she) got to us in hes 2nd stroke if i'm not wrong.
The other Cockatiels had a deep deep wound on he's swollen leg (we got him with a swollen leg)...I thought is was broken. The deep wound formed at us unfortunately doe to a new feeder in their new, larger cage before we could even realize what's happening.

https://postimg.org/image/f6zfkossf/

https://postimg.org/image/5aycl1n0f/

So I put paper on the feeder every day since:
https://postimg.org/image/4vn2s1133/

He's joint is totally destroyed but it looks like the living wound at least is getting smaller doe to antibiotics and some vitamins and ointment.

I told you all this to have a picture overall...but my question is:

This old Cockatiel's beak (I think hes over 22 years old) is changing it's color...It become darker at the end. I will show you a picture or 2

https://postimg.org/image/9jufw4thb/

https://postimg.org/image/bn4v3sta7/

Does anyone have any ideas? should I be worried?
Now before you send me to avian vet there are none in my country unfortunately...so it'd be awsome to figure it out together.
Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
CaliTiels is on a distinguished road

Well, I recommend getting him to a form of a vet, because that foot is not looking good. Also, I'm sure he has a liver problem, because if you look at his feathers, they have a yellow hue to them. Then again, he's also pretty old, so time could just in general be beating down on him as well, but he probably should have a 2nd opinion. He seems to be handling himself alright at this point, but I would definitely get him some attention to his problems. Sounds like he's going to need it
Old 04-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
FregO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTiels View Post
Well, I recommend getting him to a form of a vet, because that foot is not looking good. Also, I'm sure he has a liver problem, because if you look at his feathers, they have a yellow hue to them. Then again, he's also pretty old, so time could just in general be beating down on him as well, but he probably should have a 2nd opinion. He seems to be handling himself alright at this point, but I would definitely get him some attention to his problems. Sounds like he's going to need it
Hey CaliTiels. Thanks for your answer!
Yes his feathers are strange looking, almost hair like at some parts. He was very slim when we got him, than he gained some mass, he was happy and healthy looking few months before here, but this leg injury and the suffering made him to loose a lot of weight again and unfortunately you have right.
I was at some vets before who gave us some antibiotics ointments, we treat him with since, he gets vitamins too.. Antibiotic treatment he got also separately in water when he's leg looked super super bad than, much worse than on the pictures. He gets vitamins too.
About liver problems, I do have a budgie with liver disease, and talk budgie site helped me to discover (because the vets didn't) and I treat her since 3 years now, I make milk thistle and dandelion tea every other day since than and she is totally fine.
Do you think I should give him too? Maybe that will help.
Hes a tough little guy. I believe in him that he can recover somewhat. I hope he will for that small amount of time he will be with us at least.
Thanks again!