Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
KayteeG is on a distinguished road
Default I'm not sure if this is a health issue or not..

I have a pearl cockatiel, female, who will go through stages of... inactivity, is the best way I can describe it. She'll nap a lot, and stay in one spot of her cage. I, of course, take her out of her cage several times a day. She'll walk around my desk, eat treats, and explore for maybe a few minutes, then pick a spot, preen, and nap. Once in a while she'll lean forward and ask for pets.

Then she'll have days where she is very vocal and wants to fly around. Much more active. It honestly comes and goes. She seems more active when she's "in the mood" which can be A LOT, but has gone through long periods where she isn't at all. She can get very obsessed with finding a place to nest, which is usually somewhere dark that she can crawl under and make "I'm ready to mate" noises.

She's been to the vet multiple times, and the doctor said she seems fine but gave me some antibiotics "just in case." Unfortunately, it didn't really seem to change anything.

She isn't really a "toy" bird, she has them in her cage but ignores them. The only thing I've seen her play with is paper, but the few times I've watched her chew paper I noticed she tears them up really small and doesn't seem to "drop" what she chewed, which makes me think she swallows it. I don't let her go near paper now.

I keep thinking maybe she wants a friend, but a few years ago I was babysitting another cockatiel and she seemed less than thrilled that he was around. She would even approach him just to threaten him (but never attacked or bit him.)

What can I do for my cockatiel? I'm not sure if she's sick as this has been going on for as long as I've had her. Is she sad? How can I coax her into being more active and play with her toys?

Any feedback is much apperciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

My suggestion would be to stop giving antibiotics since they're not having any noticeable effect. When antibiotics are used unnecessarily they do more harm than good, messing up her gut flora and raising the risk of developing antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

It doesn't really sound to me like there's a health problem here. Birds have natural variations in their activity level, and we can't always see the reason for it. In any case you've seen the vet multiple times already and they couldn't find anything, so there's not much else you can do about it apart from making sure that she has a well balanced diet. What's her current diet like?

There are simple hormone control techniques that can help with the nesty behavior: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330

Cockatiels aren't the most toy-oriented bird in the world, and they mostly like stuff they can destroy. Like tearing up paper, although paper shredding helps stimulate breeding behavior in cockatiels. She's probably not actually eating the paper, and even if she is I would guess that she could pass it pretty easily. But if you'd like to be on the safe side, giving her access to grit would help insure that she can grind up and pass just about anything that she swallows. I know there are lots of people on the internet saying grit is dangerous, but this doesn't appear to be true. It's a natural part of the wild diet of cockatiels, and nature has equipped them to deal with it.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 05-02-2017, 03:47 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 19
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
ninfatiel is on a distinguished road

I had a lutino female like that, compare to others she was ''boring'' would eat and sleep-doing sleeping a lot more then others. She wasnt sick,appeared to have a good weight, vet couldnt see nothing wrong with her either but she never bonded with any male,didnt play or interact with others even though she was housed in a large flight with several other cockatiels of different ages. I guess it just part of their personality and if your bird is in good health thats all that matters