Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Breeding

Notices

Cockatiel Breeding Do you want to learn about breeding cockatiels? Ask questions and share advice here.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
Denny is on a distinguished road
Default Update and new questions!

Good evening people.

I've posted a few times with questions about raising chicks and thought I'd add some updated pics and queries and see how you guys think they're doing.

I've noticed that the yellow chick (older of the two but behind in weight and development) seems to have much less strength in its legs, particularly the right. Is this something that could be due to early stunting?

I also noticed that yesterday the mother layed another egg. She has been mating and is sitting on it with the older chicks still in the nest. I've read about double clutching but is it usual for them to do this when they still have needy chicks,

Also do any of the chicks look like they could be cinnamon to you guys? I have my suspicions but wanted another opinion.

Thanks again guys ^^
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170507_143032_1494189694147.jpg (85.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170507_143005_1494189817384.jpg (86.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170507_143027_1494189862803.jpg (85.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170507_143009_1494189902445.jpg (84.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20170507_142956_1494189947462.jpg (88.5 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Haimovfids is on a distinguished road

The first chick looks whiteface, and the second one is *possibly* pied.

Chicks at this age don't really have a good grip with their feet. It should be normal when you put him back in the nest box with the bedding. The chicks don't sit well on flat surfaces.

Double clutching is common, just make sure mom or dad don't try kicking the chicks out too early and abandon them. Keep a close look at their crops.

I don't see any cinnamon. Wait until they are more older and feathered out.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 19
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
ninfatiel is on a distinguished road

I would wash their feet (baby wipes are a good option) and clean the nest box possibly. And also you have a choice-new clutch or these chicks . The eggs parents are sitting on-have no chance of hatching with all that poop around. So may be you need to pull the babies out and foster or raise them yourself-if you want the new clutch to survive. As for chicks-they do look a bit stunted to me but may be it is just picture. You definitely have pied WF,possibly pearl, the other chick is pearl but hard to tell cinnamon or not

Old 05-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
tielfan is on a distinguished road

The crest on the second baby looks like cinnamon to me. I'm not good at telling the difference between cinnamon and normal grey before the babies have feathered out much, but the crest is the area where I can usually see it first and this one looks like a light color. The first baby has a mostly white crest so I'm not sure about that one.

Most parents wait a little longer to start a new clutch, but when the first clutch is very small (one or two chicks) they may start earlier. I wouldn't expect the poop in the nest from the first clutch to be a particular danger to the new eggs. Cockatiel nests in the wild aren't sanitary, and the current chicks aren't crawling with disease germs. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to replace the bedding periodically.

I haven't heard of this being a side effect of temporary stunting, but when babies are malnourished at a very young age it can lead to them having permanent weakness in their feet. As adults their toes will often lay sideways when they stand on a flat surface. It's not treatable in an older bird, and I don't know how fixable it is in a baby. But it's very possible that something can be done.

Hopefully this is not what's going on with your chick, but this baby is still very young. So make sure that the diet is as nutritious as possible. Do the parent birds eat a lot of pellets? If not, you might want to do some handfeeding with this baby to give it the benefits of a "complete" diet, while leaving it with the parents most of the time so it also gets the benefits of parent feeding. They pass some of their digestive juices along to the babies when they regurgitate, which is expected to help with digestion.

The chick is too young to be skillful with its feet, but you could try working with it for a couple of minutes at a time, encouraging it to use its feet. Maybe this will help strengthen them.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 05-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Thank you for the replies. I decided to have a go at hand rearing these guys. But am struggling to get them to take hardly anything. How long is it safe to try them for?
Old 05-12-2017, 08:23 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

These are pictures of the chicks from yesterday morning.

I've found lots of information online about hand feeding, but am struggling to find information on what to expect when just starting out, like how best to deal with a chick who is resisting feeding, how long it will take them to get used to being hand fed etc.

How long is it safe to keep trying the chicks for? I took them out of the box yesterday morning before the parents had fed them, but am still struggling to get them to have anything. Is it a case of when they are hungry enough they will be more co-operative? I feel like they'd be starving by now I certainly don't want to do them any harm.

When spoon feeding, should the spoon sit under or over the tongue like when syringe feeding? I'm finding it hard to find detailed info on spoon feeding positions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170511_141742_1494591188736.jpg (88.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20170511_134334_1494591230350.jpg (91.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

Are the parents doing an adequate job of feeding them? They won't starve if mom and dad are on the job.

I've never spoon fed a baby this young, but I think the general idea is that you just tip the food into the beak and let the baby figure out exactly how to position its tongue. Have you looked for spoon-feeding videos on Youtube? I do switch to a spoon after the babies fledge, but I don't do it the conventional way. At that point the babies are old enough to pick up the formula from the spoon while I hold it level, instead of tipping it into the beak.

It looks like the baby with the white crest is grey pied and the other baby is cinnamon. Look at the color difference in the wing tips where the feathers have emerged from the quills.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

The parents have double clutched and laid more eggs with these guys still in the nest, the yellow one is also stunted so I think she would benefit from a more balanced diet.

I'm just worried about how long they've gone without food. And how long it's ok to try them for.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

If the parents aren't feeding them enough or not feeding them at all, you need to keep trying until they accept it. If the parents are keeping them reasonably well fed, you can keep trying to feed them but don't make them get too hungry on purpose.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
Amatiq is on a distinguished road

Did you do the plastic spoon sides bent up thing? Where you dip a plastic spoon in boiling water and mold it a bit? if so, hold the spoon on the left side of the beak and gently, gently tap it to get baby to open a bit and get a bit of food on their tongue. It's a fairly messy procedure to get them to catch on to this.
If they aren't wanting to take the food, then they are either getting enough from parents, it's not the right temperature, or they are just weak in the first place.
However, your are wrong to think that hand feeding is more balanced. Parent fed babies nearly always have babies that grow faster, IME. If you're feeding a balanced diet to the parents, baby is getting a balanced diet, and the fact that they are double clutching just means baby is getting lots of snuggle time with parents and lots of attention since they are in the nest all the time
Every single time I start second guessing the parents and getting all fiddly with the chicks I create more problems than we started with. And I've done this more than a few times. Either pull them or leave them alone (other than a bit of handling and snuggling). Only supplementally feed if it's going really, really well and everybody's happy with it.