Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk

Notices

Cockatiel Talk Talk about anything cockatiel related here.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
mlj722 is on a distinguished road
Heart Wing Trim?

Hello once again!

I need some opinions regarding Enzo and clipping.

When I first received Enzo as a baby, I had to put a hold on him and the breeder required me to wait until he stopped weaning on his own and also learned how to fly. When I finally took him home, however, the breeder clipped his wings before we made the long trip home, so I'd never known what it was like when he flew (since when I got to hang out with him at the breeder's he never flew and loved hiding in my hair).

That is, until his first molt. Now that he is molting, his four trimmed primaries have begun to grow back. Of the four, I believe only one has grown back, the one which is closer to Enzo's body. (I am only uncertain because he will not allow me to touch or open his wings, but I think that is the one I see when he stretches his wings).

He can't fly up very far (he doesn't have much lift), but he is able to glide farther than he has before and has begun to fly towards/after me if I place him down somewhere and he wants to come with me. And to be honest, I think I prefer him being able to fly more than he was able to before. I feel like it gives him more freedom than before.

So, should I let his feathers grow out? I know that birds fully flighted can fly into windows or walls, so should I rather give him a shorter cut to keep him from getting enough lift to truly fly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
CaliTiels is on a distinguished road

I would let his feathers grow out. Since he didn't have an opportunity to learn as a youngster, it's an important skill for a bird to know. When he has learned, it's your call to make on what you want to do with his wings
Old 05-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
mlj722 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTiels View Post
I would let his feathers grow out. Since he didn't have an opportunity to learn as a youngster, it's an important skill for a bird to know. When he has learned, it's your call to make on what you want to do with his wings
He actually was able to fly and learned how to fly before I was able to take him home and only got his first clip right before I took him home because I wanted the breeder to show me how to do it properly.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
vampiric_conure is on a distinguished road

I would trim him to control how far and high he can fly. Mostly for his safety Can the breeder show you how to trim him?

Mindwipe - f, g, 15yrs
Redshift - m, g, 14 yrs
Firestorm -f - pearl WF - 2.5 yr
Sideswipe-M -grey-5 years
Strongarm-F-Pearl - 2yrs
August, M, WCPi, 13yrs
Slugfest, M, Budgie, 1 yr
Swoop, F, Budgie, 1yr

and the medical alert service dog, Aaerro (Whippet/Iggy cross), F, 9 yrs
Old 05-16-2017, 04:54 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Vickitiel is on a distinguished road

It's totally up to you and no one should judge you for your decision, but if I were you I would let his feathers grow out. It's actually safer to have a fully-flighted bird instead of a clipped one. Clipping a bird does not mean they won't still try to fly and can end up hurting themselves seriously if they jump from a height, as they drop to the ground like rocks. A flighted bird who has properly learnt how to fly will quickly learn to swerve when they come close to walls and windows. I have all my windows covered with a mesh curtain which works perfectly to deter them/ give them something to grip if they do fly toward the window.

+ Georgie the Indian Ringneck and 'tiel sisters Cheeky and Squeaky

Thank you Stephanie (CaliTiels) for the signature!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:34 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information
Nimra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickitiel View Post
It's totally up to you and no one should judge you for your decision, but if I were you I would let his feathers grow out. It's actually safer to have a fully-flighted bird instead of a clipped one. Clipping a bird does not mean they won't still try to fly and can end up hurting themselves seriously if they jump from a height, as they drop to the ground like rocks. A flighted bird who has properly learnt how to fly will quickly learn to swerve when they come close to walls and windows. I have all my windows covered with a mesh curtain which works perfectly to deter them/ give them something to grip if they do fly toward the window.
I agree. I once remember a user here on talk cockatiels who left their bird with someone. That person clipped the birds wings, and the bird tried to fly, came crashing down, and broke its chest bones or something like that. It was absolutely horrible.