Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Breeding

Notices

Cockatiel Breeding Do you want to learn about breeding cockatiels? Ask questions and share advice here.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 10
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Bambi is on a distinguished road
Question Mark Mom is ignoring egg

Hi everyone,

I have a question yesterday Friday 4/14/17 my 1 yr old albino tiel Beautiful just laid her 1st egg. I also have another tiel that has laid an egg and she and her partner have been in their nest keep their egg warm this whole time. Yesterday Beautiful and her partner were in their nest keeping their egg warm but today both her and her partner have been out the whole time and have not been inside the nest all day. Is this normal or did the mom abandon her egg? Should I give it some more time so she can get used to it, they are 1st time parents? Also both males have been fighting should I separate the couples?

Any feedback is really appreciated.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
chefontheloose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a question yesterday Friday 4/14/17 my 1 yr old albino tiel Beautiful just laid her 1st egg. I also have another tiel that has laid an egg and she and her partner have been in their nest keep their egg warm this whole time. Yesterday Beautiful and her partner were in their nest keeping their egg warm but today both her and her partner have been out the whole time and have not been inside the nest all day. Is this normal or did the mom abandon her egg? Should I give it some more time so she can get used to it, they are 1st time parents? Also both males have been fighting should I separate the couples?

Any feedback is really appreciated.
She won't sit on the eggs until she has 2 or 3 eggs laid. Then she'll start nesting.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
She won't sit on the eggs until she has 2 or 3 eggs laid. Then she'll start nesting.
That actually depends on the bird. Some new breeders have no idea what they're doing. Keep an eye on them to make sure they start sitting after the 2nd egg is laid (the two babies will hatch very close together). You might have to foster the eggs to your other pair and help with feeding if they don't sit properly.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 04-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

In my experience breeding cockatiels and budgies, most birds will lay 2-3 eggs before they sit on them, while some birds will start sitting on their first egg right after laying it, though that is not usually the norm. My budgie breeders over the years, both English and American, rarely ever sat on their eggs until they laid at least 2 or 3, while my cockatiels were usually the same, though the couple of birds that I remember sitting on their first laid egg were cockatiels. That being said, during their very first clutch, the birds that sat on their first egg right after laying it ALWAYS sat on their first egg laid in EVERY clutch. So as already mentioned it definitely goes by individual birds, and however they do it seems to be how they'll do it every time they lay a clutch.

Also, if it's the very first clutch laid for a pair they may be a little "scatterbrained" about what they are doing, lol. Just like the very first clutch for a pair may have most or all of the eggs infertile because they haven't quite gotten the hang of "things" yet, they also may not get it together until they have laid two or three eggs, and then they realize they need to do their thing.

Just watch both clutches, it's nice that you have two separate pairs laying clutches simultaneously so you can compare what is going on and their timing. I'd say if that hen lays another egg and doesn't start sitting on them at that point (by the end of the day she lays the second egg, make sure you give her some time to eat, drink, poop, etc. after laying it before you take her eggs away) you may want to consider fostering them to the other pair that is sitting on her clutch.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."
Old 04-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

I will add if the pairs are fighting then yes they should be separated.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:27 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
abeabi is on a distinguished road

I would separate the pairs as well