Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Nimra is on a distinguished road
Default Is my bird sick?

After giving away my birds, I adopted a baby chick (as in a chicken). I found a man selling a bunch of chicks on the roadside, and I felt really sorry for the poor tiny things, so I bought one. It is a miracle that it is still alive though, because all the people who have bought the chicks have told me that their chick died after a week or so. Anyways, the chick is still pretty small, and the only change that has occurred in it is that its wings have grown, and so has he/she, but just a tiny bit. Yesterday I noticed something odd in it. It was not walking or running around like it usually did, instead it was not even getting up properly, could not even walk, and was not eating. I thought it was just sleepy, but it is the same today. It has only eaten the tiniest bit of cucumber which someone had dropped in the kitchen. I have tried feeding it cooked rice (which is usually its fav), crushed millet, and even more cucumber, since it ate it before. But it has refused to eat anything, and is just snuggling into cozy spots and going to sleep. I thought it might have an injury on the leg, but I can't see anything.
I remember a common symptom of sickness in birds, which is that they are not able to stand up, perch, or eat. Could my chick possibly be sick?
PS. There are no bird doctors in Lahore. There are only doctors for cats and dogs (I checked all the websites you guys sent me). Can i cure my chick at home?
PPS. My bird has suffered a foot injury before, but it didn't take it long to heal (a day only. It was fine the next day).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
AutumnElf is on a distinguished road

I have never had chickens but I have birds. I'm not an expert but you can start with putting the chick in a box in a warm and restful place. It probably will need a warming light over it. Keep it out of cool drafty places. I'm sure others will have other suggestions. I'm sorry I can't be of more help than that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information

Well that okay. Thanks for the info. No change in chick's behavior, but it is hot enough already, so I don't want to put it under a light. I have closed all the windows and doors though, and the room seems warm enough.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimra View Post
Well that okay. Thanks for the info. No change in chick's behavior, but it is hot enough already, so I don't want to put it under a light. I have closed all the windows and doors though, and the room seems warm enough.
I hope your chick gets better!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information

Thanks. I hope so too.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information

Well, today was definitely better than yesterday. The chick tried to walk around (was not very successful, but still), it also ate a bit of bread crumbs, and then later even had its normal diet (not all of it, but he ate just enough). I also bandaged its thighs, which I hope will make a difference to the way he walks.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

What are you feeding the chick? It sounds to me like you are just feeding it scraps, bread, veggies etc? A chick needs a proper balanced chick starter and chick grower to get all the balanced nutrients it needs to survive, grow properly and be healthy.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotletsRock View Post
What are you feeding the chick? It sounds to me like you are just feeding it scraps, bread, veggies etc? A chick needs a proper balanced chick starter and chick grower to get all the balanced nutrients it needs to survive, grow properly and be healthy.
I used to use a chick formula I got from a local breeder who had a lot of chicks and hens. After the chick grew up a little, the breeder told me it was fine to feed it seeds that would be small enough for it to eat, so I give it crushed seeds. I don't know the type of seeds I feed my chick, but I just get them from the breeder. The chick loves them and usually eats them very happily. I also feed it cooked rice. Other than that, yes, it does like to taste new things, which is why it goes around looking for scraps. Now the reason its not eating is probably because its sick, and I am sure its not because I am not feeding it properly, because if that was the case, this bird should have been sick a few months ago (I have had it for almost 4 months now).
Old 05-13-2017, 08:38 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

I hope as time goes on it gets stronger and gets past this sickness. Once they get to be an adult it's better. Keep us posted!

Old 05-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information

Thanks. I will.