Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Lutino what now?

4K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  BabyPanda 
#1 ·
So I've always known I've loved lutinos and known that's what I wanted. I was looking up about lutinos and never knew you could have so many different mutations. But I was wondering if Skye was just a plain lutino or a lutino pearl or lutino whatever (I know males usually loose the pearl after their first molt) so I thought I should ask just to know if I change my mind and want to breed him. I don't know if his age matters but he is either 5 months old or 7 months old. Hopefully you can tell from the pictures I provided.

Also when I got him a month ago he had a bald spot which seems to be going away now... is this possible?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Possibly lutino pied. He has a lot of yellow on his chest, and if you notice some flights are solid white and others are solid yellow, then yes, he's lutino pied. And, you could be noticing the bald spot is "going away" because of new feathers growing in around the bald spot that tend to cover the actual bald spot.

#6 ·
it's hard to tell on him he looks white and yellow all over but I can't pick out a feather that is completely yellow, they look like they start white and then turn to a yellow at the bottom. Even with the feathers he's lost are hard to tell. some have yellow spots on them and some are mostly yellow but still appear to have some white.

I had a breeder tell me the bald spot goes away when they are ten months old, but I'm guessing that was just her way of trying to sell me on her teil. After I read on here it was a genetic thing I didn't expect it to go away but it looked like it was. You're probably right it's just his feathers growing in around it, but oh well I thought it was kinda cute anyways.

#7 ·
He might just be a normal lutino then, like my Honey. Her colouring varies greatly from white to yellow all over her body but there are no definite breaks between white/yellow.

That's definitely not true, unless the bald spot is a result of the parents plucking the baby, but it's not likely. Lutinos are known to have bald spots.

#12 ·
I would love that, I'm worried Skye is going to lose most of his yellow.
Why would he lose any yellow? He's not a lutino pearl (only the pearling would go away if he was and he doesn't have any pearling to begin with) so there's nothing to worry about. He should look pretty close to what he looks like now.

#16 ·
Yes, Lutino without any other mutation would be all white with a yellow head. I don't think I've ever seen a "pure" lutino in person before. Lutino Pieds and Pearls or Pearl Pied mixes will have yellow over the body instead of just the head.

Kirk is a Lutino Pearl Pied and he's got a lot of yellow on him. He also has a lavender/cinnamon coloring on his wings from losing his Pearling.

:)

#17 ·
Honey's tail is pure yellow. The yellow is darkest on here and on her face/crest. She's got an all-white back and a light yellow belly. Does this mean she is a lutino pied?

#18 · (Edited)
#19 ·
She has no clear tail feathers, but she's currently growing her flights back so I'm unable to tell about those yet. She doesn't really look like the lutino in the photo; she's much more yellow and there's a definite contrast between the white and yellow parts of her. Maybe she's just an extra-yellow lutino.

#21 ·
What would be considered clear feathers?
Clear feathers are yellow without any coloring at all, no black veins or anything. Its hard to see on a lutino because of their coloring, but a lutinos body feathers are supposed to be white, so any feathers that aren't white, are obviously not lutino body feathers.

#22 · (Edited)
a lutinos body feathers are supposed to be white, so any feathers that aren't white, are obviously not lutino body feathers.
I've suddenly started hearing this idea a lot in several different places, and I'm not sure where it comes from. I have lutinos who are neither pearl nor pied, and the only ones who have white body feathers are the whiteface lutinos. The others are yellow; it's a pale yellow, but I wouldn't call it white. Here are two sisters sitting side by side with their normal grey brother:

There's a definite color difference between Teela's pale-yellow chest and belly and Snowy's stark white coloring. All my normal lutino chicks are split to whiteface but have no other mutation genes unless you count the spot gene.

#23 ·
I think people were trying to say that a lutino would be uniform in color..and that the body should not have any brighter-than-pale feathers.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.