Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health > Food And Nutrition

Notices

Food And Nutrition Post any questions you may have about your cockatiels diet here. Also feel free to share any cockatiel recipes you may know of.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
Fran.bath89 is on a distinguished road
Default Complete pellets

Hey guys so for almost a year now I've had a female cinnamon whitefaced Pearl hen in my flock in an outdoor aviary.
She has terrible feathers they seem to be very weak and snap easily. She looks a right mess 95% of the time! When a new tail feather or two come in she looks normal for abit.
So anyways I was thinking maybe if I provide her with a bowl of complete cockatiel pellets she may improve? I was thinking it could be a sign of lack of nutrition as she never eats fresh foods just the seeds provided in the hanging bowls. She doesn't even venture to the millet sprays. And it's not like she can't see everyone else eating it.
so my question is if any of you give your cockatiels a complete pellet diet which would you reccomend and bear in mind I'm in the UK so that may limit me on what I can get hold of. Thanks in advanced!
Canaries: 1 yellow, 1 brown/orange, 1 brown/yellow, 1 silver, 2 yellow dimorphic
Zebra finches: 1 white, 1 black cheeked, 1 normal, 1 fawn
Chinese painted quail: 1 normal, 1 white, 1 heavy pied
Diamond dove: 2 normal, 1 pied, 1 white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
tielfan is on a distinguished road

It does sound like she could have some nutritional deficiencies. Unfortunately it also sounds like she is very unwilling to try new foods, so it might be very difficult to get her to eat pellets. The major US brands are all formulated to be complete (Zupreem, Kaytee, Harrisons, Mazuri, Hagen/Hari/Tropican, Lafeber, and Higgins are the ones I can think of off the top of my head). Harrisons is the only organic brand that's formulated to be complete, so any other brand that makes a big fuss over how organic it is (like TOPS) is best avoided. TOPS is not formulated for completeness.

Lafeber's Nutriberries are also formulated for completeness, and birds tend to accept them easily because they look like seed balls. That might be your best bet for convincing her, but if she won't even eat millet spray then she might not be willing to try it. Your other birds will enjoy it in any case.

I checked Northern Parrots (a UK company) and they have a wide variety: http://www.northernparrots.com/page/...pellets&page=1 They have some European brands too, but I'm not familiar with those and don't know which ones are the best.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 03-01-2017, 05:42 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Thank you for your help and suggestions! I'll get the balls and some of the other pellets and see if she shows interest. I'm going to put some veggies near the bowls she feeds from to see if it's just because they are where she doesn't want to go. She is very particular on where she likes to feed! I'll try and get a picture so you can see her horrendous tail it really is quite pathetic! I've never seen her attempt to bath either so perhaps I should give her a little spray. I have always worried about her feathers tho as her body feathers are nothing like my other cockatiels. Her mates body feathers are the same which make me think maybe they are related (I won't allow them to breed because of her issues and for the dances of being related) not that I've ever seen them try to breed lol. I'll try and get a close up picture of their body feathers too.
Canaries: 1 yellow, 1 brown/orange, 1 brown/yellow, 1 silver, 2 yellow dimorphic

Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Here is some pictures of the comb/flyffy looking body feathers and a picture of poppy looking her worst! My other 4 cockatiels and previous chicks have always had smooth looking feathers. When I first bought her she had most he tail feathers but I assumed she was going through a moult as she had some wing feathers missing until I took a closer look a few weeks later and noticed she must have had a very bad clip done previously as there is scarring on her wing one of the other males who came with her has the same. I noticed today and a couple of days ago my red rump male (who came with the 3 cockatiels) was feeding poppy and her mate! He's obviously very confused!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9241.jpg (81.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9242.jpg (85.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9245.jpg (83.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

Broken tail feathers like that are often caused by a clipped bird trying to fly and crash-landing with the tail feathers taking a lot of the impact. You may see an improvement if she can grow out her wing feathers enough to fly better. She still needs to improve her diet though.

Night frights are another possible cause of the scarring on the wings. Birds tend to knock out their wings feathers when they're flapping around in a panic in the dark, and it can do some damage to the flesh part of the wing.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

The thing is I've had her a year now and her wing feathers on her right wing don't grow back. I've never clipped her I think this could be from a previous owner. I tried asking the lady I got them from and she just ignores my calls and texts. Would clipping the feathers on her left wing help even her out? I think she might be better of as a caged bird which is probably why she had tail feathers when I got her. She was kept in a very cluttered cage with 2 cockatiels and a red rump so there was no way she could stretch her wings before. I try my best not to startle her and I worry about her falling but my friend shuts the door in the evening so I don't know if she get scared then. Also my birds have learnt that the sound of the guinea fowl mean something is wrong and there have been work men around so that could be spooking her more lately. Once I get my new house I will have to make the new aviary more climber friendly
Old 03-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

It's possible that the feather follicles on the right side are too damaged for the feathers to grow back. You'll need to look at the situation and try to figure out what will work best for her. What happens when she tries to fly? If she's crashing because of the difference between the wings, then clipping the left side might help. If she's crashing because she just doesn't have enough power, then clipping the good side might make things worse.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

She literally can't even get hight or stay level she just drops. So she only has access to half of the aviary. I was discussing her situation with my partner today and when we build the new aviary it's going to have breeder cages inside so I have suggested he makes a large internal cage for her and her partner to live in which he's willing to do. So hopefully we get a new house soon then the new aviary will be built not long after.

Tags
diet, feather, nutrition, pellet, quality