Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Both of the boys are split to pied!!!

982 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  tielfan 
#1 ·
i found small white feathers on Meanboy's head. so i am guessing they are both split to pied and are most likely brothers! so that means i have two splits and a pied!
Will ad pictures as soon as they upload!

#2 ·
I already knew Singerboy was split to pied.
I had never had a chance to really look at meanboy. so i got some pictures and noticed the little extra feathers on his head.
Meanboy:

Singerboy:

Meanboy-face pic :)

Singerboy face pic :p

Woohoo!

#4 ·
I was unsure whether the boys were brothers or not. they look to be the same age, and they look alike and both have white ring around the yellow in the face. i have come to the conclusion that the boys are brothers. Let me get some better face pics put together and maybe you guys can see if you think so also?

#5 ·
There are lots of birds with these splits so it's not possible to be tell whether they're brothers or not. I have three males that I suspect are brothers since I was told they're the same age and they obviously have several mutations/splits in common. But there's no way I can know for sure.

#6 ·
I don't know, they are both split to pied and normal. but singerboy is said to be split to whiteface also. Meanboy is not, he has a completely yellow face.
They also have a different body type and face shape. they are the same age. I am so confused!

#11 ·
From what I see they are both split to WF and Pied, Singerboy has an additional sign of being split to Pied. He has different colored toe nails, does Meanboy have this also? I cant see all his nails in the photo provided.

#8 ·
They were given to us by a friend who was allergic to them. She said she got them from the same place and Wendy was from a shelter. i don't know much more about their background or where the place they got the boys from actually was.

#9 ·
It's certainly possible that they're brothers. If one of the parents was split whiteface then some of the offspring will be split and some won't. But it's also very possible that they aren't related at all. If their general shape is very different then it seems likely that they aren't related. But if the parents had very different body shapes then there could be major dissimilarities in the offspring too. There's just no way to be sure one way or the other.

#12 ·
No Meanboy has all regular black toes. I knew that singerboy was split pretty well. do you think that he could be split twice? like a split bred with a visual but he did not become a pied.

#15 ·
A bird that got the pied gene from both parents will be visual pied (genetically speaking). The pied mutation is a tricky thing though because there's a lot of variation between individuals - some have a small number of pied feathers and some have a lot. It's possible to have a clear pied, where ALL the feathers that would normally be grey are yellow/white instead and the bird looks like a lutino. I've never heard of a bird with two pied genes where NONE of the feathers are yellow/white instead of grey, but I can't swear that it never happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.