Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

He doesn't like his play gym......

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Fortunate 
#1 ·
We were so excited to give Teeter his colorful play gym. It's been a month and he will not go near it! He is content sitting on our shoulders or watching the laptop. Should I keep trying or return it? :confused:

#3 ·
Try hanging millet spray on it, his favorite treat, or just anything like fun toys to entice him. Make him interested in it and keep trying! My tiel doesn't like getting on it much but I recently had a success of her staying there for awhile because I had a treat dish.

#6 ·
The dye on those playpens is just food coloring, so don't worry about the safety.:)

It took Misty 5 months before he got to enjoy his playpen. I have it sitting on top of one of the cages. Misty always stayed away from it except to occasionally eat millet spray. But just the other day he started playing on it.

I wouldn't return it. One day when your bird is older and wants something new in his life, he'll see that the playpen is there. And, because you'd leave it out all the time, it will be something familiar, so he'll just kind of naturally go over to it and start inspecting it.

#8 ·
my little guy wont go near his play gm either (i call it his "school" coz thats where i want to train him) he hates it, i leave it out when he is wondering about but i goes ignored, my boyfriends cockatoo has made it his new favourite resting spot however and has already ripped two bells off..... :rolleyes:
I guess some just dont want a play gym...... at least it wasnt a waste of money in my opinion, coz one bird has fun on it.

#11 ·
My boyfriend made a joke when he bought a play gym for grey. I sat it down and he ran from it. My boyfriend said, "give him another ten years and then he will start exploring it." Lol. It didn't take quite that long, but you really do just have to give it as much time as it needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.