Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Updates on development

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  cloudykitty 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone :)
I thought I would write about my babies...some facts and observations or even ideas :p Please share your opinion or comments if you have any :)

Kiwi is 1 month and 3 days old. She came out of the nest last friday and tried to fly on saturday. She is very calm and kind of lazy lol. She tries new food but not really a curious type yet.

Jello is 1 month and 2 days old. Active, flew and came out of the nest on the same day as Kiwi. He is the only one I have ever seen drinking out of the water bowl in the cage, he also played with the water :D Friendly but cautious.

Noodle is 1 month old and a mystery. She is the one who has seeds in her poop, although she spends almost all day in the cage chewing and munching on something. She is 3 days younger than Kiwi but came out of the nest and flew on the same day, and she is the one who actually climbed up to the entrance of the cage and flew out today. The vet said she should be okay in 2 weeks, it is probably just an imbalance in her tummy but I took Srtiel's advice and give her Brewers Yeast and acidophilus.

Peanut is 29 days old, just left the nest 2 days ago. He was cranky when he was smaller but now he calmed down, he never hisses at me anymore. He is trying out fresh food and trying his wings however he has not flown yet.

Mango is 27 days old, he has not left the nest yet but sits in the entrance :) He is the most suspicious, picks at my hand even if I handle him almost daily. He is very curious as well, when he is out with me he constantly looks around and moves :)

Their absolute favorite is the crushed pellets, but they like the whole grain bread, corn, pea, carrot and leafy veggies like romaine lettuce. They chew on the perches, play with the newspaper in the cage and preen each other :) They also started vocalizing and working on their flock call at least I think. Parents are still feeding them 4-5 times a day and they all go back to the nest in the evening

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
So today I removed the nest box and attached the new cage to the old one, in this way they can come and go in both :)
The smallest one, Mango came out yesterday, he flies, climbs, tries veggies and pellets...I can tell they are all fledging :D
Often I take them in the bedroom where they can play and fly, the parents are amazing, they even showed them, how to play with some toys (the parents otherwise never use the toys, so that is why I think they were teaching the babies). I put the babies on my shoulder, and looks like they love being there.
Most importantly, Noodle's poops look way better!!! Still has some seeds in them but it happens like once a day not all the time. They still get the Brewers Yeast and the acidophilus

#8 ·
They are big birds now! :) Look at them all! Good job done!

#9 ·
Yay about Noodle's droppings! -- haha, that sounds funny :p Anyway, may I ask what that toy is that all of them are totally mauling? It looks like fun for my tiel. :)

#10 ·
Thanks you :)
Oh it is a toy made by knotted thread ropes and big beads are attached :) Got it in a local bird store but actually I could make it lol

By the way the result of not hand feeding only handling looks like they will be friendly but cautious birds...they pick on my hand for example if I put my hand in the cage, but accept petting and carrying...feeding them out of my hand is still early yet, but they do respond to the step up command!!
Here is a precious picture....Skye, the Mom jumped on my husband and the babies followed her!

#11 ·
Aw! LOL, look at the one by his hip! Poor thing is like, "Me too! Me too!"

#13 ·
Gorgeous babys !

#15 ·
That is such a great pic! :) They all look like they are doing wonderfully! It is really amazing how they learn from mom and dad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.