Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Introduction and moving to Sweden . . . would love travel tips / help!!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rainfeather 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum, but am so glad I found you! I have read many posts and have already found them quite helpful! Thank you.

We live in Berkeley, CA, USA (near San Francisco), and have two normal grey male cockatiels: Titi (14 years old) and Benny (8 years old). We "rescued" both of them, and have had Titi since 2006 and Benny since 2008. They are really sweet birds!

My partner will be attending university in Stockholm, Sweden, for 2 years, so we are moving over there this summer. We had planned to send our birds to Sweden via Continental's PetSafe program, but since Continental's merger with United, things seem a bit out of whack and I can't reach them on the phone at all.

Our travel agent suggested that we try for in-cabin travel with the cockatiels from SF-Chicago (first flight) and then have them transferred to cargo for the second flight on SAS, from Chicago-Stockholm. So I called United, managed to get through, and they did book the in-cabin travel for the cockatiels, and I am waiting for confirmation from SAS for the hold on the second flight, but that should go through.

I am also aware of all of the paperwork and tests required, & we are speaking with our vet, the USDA, US Fish & Wildlife, the Swedish Agricultural Board, etc.

I guess my main questions are for folks who have flown with cockatiels in the cabin before - either domestic or internationally, and specifically for anyone who has flown with them on United Airlines:

What went wrong? What could go wrong? Any tips? Positive stories? I think my greatest fear right now is that the gate agents will decide that cockatiels aren't allowed in the cabin, though I told them that I have 2 birds, one crate, both cockatiels, and I will confirm this again with United before I leave.

My flight is in July, and I will be traveling on my own . . . I'm just trying to plan ahead and not stress too much! Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! I agree, this has a lot of great help on here. I personally have never flown with my tiels in the cabin so sorry on that one. Just wanted to say hello :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.