Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

What a bummer;/

867 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  acm321 
#1 ·
So, for those of you who have read the rest of my posts, my cockatiel pair laid eggs. It had been about 10 days since they were laid so i decided to candle them, and none are fertile!! Should i take them out? What should i do? i do not want them to strain themselves trying to incubate eggs that are no good. OR, should i leave them in? i have no idea what to do...
:grey tiel::grey tiel::grey tiel::grey tiel::grey tiel::grey tiel::grey tiel::grey tiel:

#3 ·
Yeah it depends if you want her to lay more already or if you'd like her to wait a while. Luna's first clutch was not viable, so I left the eggs with her for a few weeks and then took them out. I left the nestbox in so she could try again, and it took bout 2 weeks from then before she laid more. She is done for now, and I won't be giving the nestbox back until next Spring.

If you want to take them out without causing her to lay more, have a look around for some dummy eggs. These are usually a good idea to have stored away in case something like this happens, as you can replace the real eggs with fake ones and you can leave them in until the hen loses interest and you don't have to worry about them breaking.

I'm sorry your clutch isn't viable :( I know what a bummer it is.

#4 · (Edited)
Shaenne,
was lunas second clutch successful (If so, I would LOVE to see some pics of the babies)? My birds seem to very dedicated parents and I feel like they would be great parents, so it is disappointing, but since it was their first time, i was expecting this. Its okay though, I will be giving her more calcium so when the next clutch come, she is prepared. Any suggestions on what to feed them besides pallets, millet, veggies, cuttle bone, and i have some other vitamins that i bought, they are for stronger feathers and bones (should i incorporate this into their food or will it be too much of an overload)?

Thank you so much by the way, you have answered every threat Ive started, I really really appreciate it! :]

I don't know if Ive told you what kind of cockatiels i have, but they are just a standard grey pair. I know they will produce grey offspring, but I'm really attracted to the regular grey color. Its odd because grey cockatiels are not so "in demand," but in my opinion, they are beautiful!! I really like Your cockatiels too! Luna and Odie are quite the show stoppers!

#5 ·
Her second clutch contained 3 eggs; one was not viable, and the other two hatched. Baby #2 died at 7 days old though, he/she just didn't get fed enough and didn't make it. Baby #1 did survive but I had to pull on day 7 for hand raising, or I would have lost that one too. Odie & Luna were first time parents so I didn't expect big things from them. Next time I allow them to breed I will be fully prepared in case I have to hand raise from an early age again.

This is Zoe now at 6.5 weeks old;

Zoe was a bit dehydrated and malnourished when I pulled her for hand raising at 7 days old, which resulted in her being stunted. At 3 weeks old she was just starting to get her pin feathers. It was a long uphill battle to get her to where she is now and it's not an experience i'd really care to repeat (but would if I had to obviously). She's doing well now though, she is growing steadily and has become quite the master flyer.

Basically just be prepared for whatever may happen. The parents may do an excellent job with their first viable clutch, but be prepared to step in if you need to.

As for the vitamins, my vet told me not to bother with them. If the bird is on a balanced diet that includes lots of fresh foods as well as good quality pellets and/or seeds, vitamins really aren't necessary. So it's up to you, but I personally wouldn't use them.

Good luck with your 2nd clutch, whenever it arrives!

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you so much! Zoe looks just like Odie!

Did you decide to keep Zoe?

I have decided that if my pair had any babies, that i am going to keep them all. After that, i think i am going to remove the nest box because i do not want them to keep straining themselves to have more chicks because i can't keep too many (and it just unhealthy for them).

#7 ·
Yes, i'll be keeping Zoe. After everything she's been through it wouldn't feel right handing her over to someone else lol.

I have removed Odie & Luna's nest box until next spring now. It's Autumn here now, so it'll be a bit over a year before they get it back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.