Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Hello, from Roxy (Tiel) and Me.

540 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SquiglyAWulf 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm from the UK and I'm the adopter of a Cockatiel called Roxy, for clarification I do not know the actual gender of Roxy, I was told its female but doesn't look female to me, and there isn't a dedicated avian vet nearby to think about testing.

This is a blurry action picture of Roxy playing on my arm.
http://imgur.com/hkMIINZ

Roxy is a rescue Tiel who came from a toxic family that was loud etc so I took Roxy in. We made progress in bonding, scritches happened and step ups happened (unless Roxy is on my shoulder then nope) but I felt the trust wasn't strong enough so I decided to take us back to square one and properly train Roxy using treats and since introducing treats something went wrong, yesterday I was unable to touch Roxy because she was aggressive, but I started to talk to her and give her a treat when I was able to touch her without her going for me.

This morning I started to read to her, with my hand in the cage because Roxy accepted scritches through the bars, she tolerated my hand in the cage. This afternoon I was able to actually show affection through scritches with my hand in the cage. But any attempt with training to step up (the treat will get to a certain distance from my finger then Roxy would ask for scritches instead of attempting to step up).

Because the cage came with Roxy I feel I need to get a new one for her to start "fresh" because she never accepted anything in her cage even with the trick of moving it closer every day.

With claw clipping, I cant touch her feet but she allows it briefly when shes hanging on the bars, so I thought of getting something like the Pedi Paws nail grinder so I can quickly and gradual grind down the claws without added stress of trying to hold the nail and cutting.

This is where we are up to, I want to develop a bond with this bird, I leave the bird cage open and call out and speak to Roxy every now and then and approach and do the step one of taming.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey there! Welcome to the Forum :D

As for trimming Roxy's claws - have you tried pedi-perches? They're essentially perches that will trim the bird's claws when they stand on it.

I'm sure others will have more to add in way of suggestions. And again - welcome to the forum :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.