Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

What Was Your Trick?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Sophia 
#1 ·
I just thought it would be interesting to hear how everyone went about taming and bonding with their cockatiels when they first came home! :D

For me it was easy both times. Cookie was 8 weeks old from a pet shop. She wasn't hand reared but had come from a small scale breeder who had obviously handled her lots, and then went straight to a small pet shop with one of her siblings. They got lots of attention from the staff so she was tame when i got her, accepting head scratches on day one or two and our bond just grew from there.

Bailee was handreared and from a breeder. I went and visited him a few times before he was weaned so he already knew me by the time i bought him home! Enough said. ;)

So what about you?

#2 ·
Well, when I went to the petstore one day for budgie food I walked out with Baby. I just fell in love with her right away and there was no way I could leave her. She kept trying to step up through the glass so I picked her up and put her on my shoulder, walked to the budgie's food, walked back to put her back and she wouldn't let go of my finger...so I didn't either. She was pretty much tame from day one but we have a really strong bond now. She likes NOANE else..lol

#3 ·
Both of mine came from the same breeder who was great with them they were already stepping up sitting on the shoulder and eating there fruits and veggies so I was lucky I really didn't have to do any training it was all done for me Georgie was 10 wks when we got her, Ollie was a little younger so I got to go visit him before we brought him home

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.