Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Converted a seed junkie - question?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  roxy culver 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I managed to get my tiels to eat veggies through a veggie omelet I had made for myself, which they loved. Earlier they would refuse to eat any pellets or veggies placed in their cage. I was wondering if omelet was safe and if I made them this every day, it would be okay for their health. It had:

kale
tomatoes
basil
shredded parmesan cheese
eggs
a dash of milk

and I could add other veggies safe for birds.

(I would leave out the cheese and the milk if I were to make it specifically for the birds.)

Thank you.

#2 ·
I don't know about every day, but a few times a week could be done just because eggs are high in protein and best for breeding birds . But dang...that omelette sounds GOOD! **Steals the birds' share....**

A good alternative would be birdy bread, if your guys will eat it.

#3 ·
Thanks, I will take that into consideration. It was delicious. But I have never heard of bird bread. I think I would like to try and make it. Do you have a specific recipe tha you use, and can you put veggies in it?

I currently have some kale and swiss chard from my garden in their bowl with seeds sprinkled onto it. No luck, but the bird bread does sound like a good idea.

#4 ·
Birdy Bread is pretty easy to make! The two easiest recipes I know of take either Instant muffin mix or pancake mix, add baby food puree, seeds, and whatever, then bake until done (Usually follow the instructions on the box). My favorite method is to use the (just add water) pancake mix.

#5 ·
The point of birdy bread is that you add any veggies you want. It encourages the birds to eat them!

As for the omelette, not good every day because of the egg. I'd only do it once or twice a week and even with breeding birds I wouldn't give it every day. But every once and a while is OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.