Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Cockatiel might had broken his wing after night flight

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  roxy culver 
#1 ·
Today morning my cockatiel had a night flight (he hadn't had a night flight for 4 months).
After the night flight his wings looked weird but not damaged and with no blood (he doesn't have blood now either). But i still wanted to see if everything is alright with him so i got him out of the cage to see if he can fly.

He doesn't fly very well at all. Only half a meter and he will drop on the floor.
2 days ago when i let him out of the cage he flied very well and even reached my 3 meters long bookcase but now he can't.

The good thing though is that i can train him without him flying away like he's clipped. Does it looks like he has broken one of his wings? Should i get him to the vet?

#2 ·
broken wing

Oh I am sorry about your 'tiel!!! Does his wing droop at all or does he carry it normally? He may have just bruised it, but you should take him to the vet. Don't fly him; his wing probably is painful if he's just fluttering a short distance. He would need an x-ray to determine if it's broken. A broken wing should be set by a professional. Best wishes to you and your bird.

#4 ·
Oh I am sorry about your 'tiel!!! Does his wing droop at all or does he carry it normally? He may have just bruised it, but you should take him to the vet. Don't fly him; his wing probably is painful if he's just fluttering a short distance. He would need an x-ray to determine if it's broken. A broken wing should be set by a professional. Best wishes to you and your bird.
He carries both normal but he still can't fly to certain places like flying to a nearby chair. This friday i will go to vet to have him check up for anything and have his wings clipped.

#6 ·
If the flight feathers had fully grown in they wouldn't bleed when they were knocked out. Only blood feathers actually bleed.

If he's carrying both normally he may have strained himself. I would definitely get him checked out by a vet to make sure everything is OK. Any idea what caused the fright?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.