Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Breeding

Notices

Cockatiel Breeding Do you want to learn about breeding cockatiels? Ask questions and share advice here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
SilverSage is on a distinguished road
Default Rapid fire egg laying?

My 16 year old sister lives with me and is learning the ins and outs of breeding cockatiels. She has her own birds and she does all the work while I basically supervise and instruct.

This week we have a clutch of 6 hatching (number 6 is actually half way out of his egg as I type this). Last week I explained to my sister that because all 6 eggs were fertile and seemed like they would hatch with no problem we would need to pull the oldest three to give the youngest 3 their best chance at survival because 12 days is too big of an age difference to have in the nest.

This week the babies started hatching one each day, not one every other day. I have seen babies hatch "off schedule" sometimes even all the same day, but this hen has been sitting tight since before she started laying so I wasn't expecting it. I was talking to my sister, commenting that the hen must not have been sitting as tight as I thought when she informed me that the eggs HAD BEEN LAID ON 6 CONSECUTIVE DAYS, not every other day.

I've seen HENS do that too, but never get fertile eggs as a result. So here are my questions;

-does anyone else have a hen who lays every day instead of every other day?

-this seems like it would stress her body; is there a safe way to discourage this, or is this just how she is?

-I typically allow my birds two clutches per year. Would you recommend limiting her to one per year to mitigate the added stress of laying twice as fast as normal?

-should I treat this as an egg laying PROBLEM and therefore refrain from breeding her female offspring?

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Titan
Indian Ringeck Parakeets: Blue, Kamehameha, Ka'iulani, Kahili, Shadow, Ali'i, Noni, Pono, Smokey, Hapu'u
Budgie: Napoleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

It's not typical but it can happen. Are you sure that there isn't a second hen laying eggs in the nest?

The number of eggs is within the normal range so she's probably OK. The fact that all the eggs are hatching and the chicks are apparently healthy says to me that she's getting enough food to support the egg-laying process. If she breeds in the future, make sure that she has plenty of high quality, high protein high fat food available in the week or two before egg laying begins, and plenty of cuttlebone or other mineral source. She needs it twice as fast as most hens do!

The main stress in breeding comes from raising the chicks, not laying the eggs. Six is a fairly large clutch even though it's in the normal range, so hopefully she has proper assistance from her mate (or even a human).

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Is this a very young hen? I've heard that young hens are much more prone to laying double-yolked eggs than older hens, because their hormones aren't as settled yet. I haven't heard of them ovulating on a speeded-up schedule in this way, but it seems likely that it could happen. Maybe she'll settle down when she's a little older and not lay them as fast.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/

Old 02-14-2017, 10:50 PM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
SilverSage is on a distinguished road

Thank you both

No, it cannot be another hen because they are in their own cages.

She is a fantastic eater egg food, salad, sprouts, fresh veggies chopped up fine, breeding pellets, and seeds leading up to hatch, seeds removed at the first hatch because this pair has shown that they don't break the seeds down far enough for new hatches. We give seeds back when the babies are a bit older. Both she and her mate go through cuttle bone like cartoon beavers go through a forest of trees.

Her mate is excellent very avid papa. Obviously we keep a human eye especially with a clutch this size but so far all crops are filling and emptying on a good rhythm with no signs of trouble.

She is two years old, this is her second clutch, her first season. Her first clutch was a clutch of 4, but we had complications due to them not breaking down the seeds enough and an emergency last minute trip that I had to take, leaving the birds in the care of my well meaning but inexperienced husband. They successfully raised two. So far no double yokes.

She isn't showing any signs of being overly stressed, but I have not had this happen before and figured I might as well check with others to see if I'm missing anything. This clutch is her last for the year regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Titan
Indian Ringeck Parakeets: Blue, Kamehameha, Ka'iulani, Kahili, Shadow, Ali'i, Noni, Pono, Smokey, Hapu'u
Budgie: Napoleon
Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Vickitiel is on a distinguished road

That's interesting! Best of luck with the babies. Looking forward to updates

+ Georgie the Indian Ringneck and 'tiel sisters Cheeky and Squeaky

Thank you Stephanie (CaliTiels) for the signature!
Closed Thread