Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
charles.felix is on a distinguished road
Default Death is not an end but Life is a new Beginning

..Continued from Cockatiel Sick Needs Urgent Help..!

When I returned home I was so sad about the incident, and was blaming myself about the incident but after sometime, something happened,
My female lutino cockatiel who was super active layed an egg in the breeding pot.. After seeing the egg, I am super happy.

This incident almost changed everything.

Last edited by charles.felix; 03-16-2017 at 03:01 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Now another thing happening at my place is that:
I have 3 cockatiels remaining out of which 2 are pair, and all of these 3 cocktiels are kept in the same cage.
The pair the cage is dominant one and female lutino in the pair is super dominant, she also tries to push away the female grey cockatiel away, from this the grey female cockatiel is lonely and she is pulled away in the corner by the female lutino who layed egg.

Now watching this incident, I tried to separate the lonely grey female in a separate cage, and went to the same dealer (as he is the only exotic bird seller in my city) to purchase a new male lutino cockatiel , but it was not available and told me that a fresh stock is coming tomorrow so instead of purchasing the cockatiel I decided to wait till tomorrow and purchased a separate cage .
When I returned home, I placed the grey female cockatiel in a separate cockatiel, but she was so scared and depressed and wanted to reach the same cage with the existing pair. She tried almost everything to reach the previous cage.

So I again removed her from the new cage and put her back in the old cage with the pair, now she is OK, but the pair specially female is dominating on her and pushing her in the corner.

Now I am worried about the egg and this lonely grey female cockatiel, if this continues then the grey female cockatiel will always be pulled away in the corner, and also worried about the egg of the pair, if this grey female cockatiel destroyed the egg of the pair, then there will be a huge fight.

Tomorrow I will bring a new cockatiel, but I am also worried that even if I bring a new male cockatiel, what is the probability that the existing lonely grey cocktiel will pair with the new lutino cockatiel.

1. Please suggest me what can be done in my existing condition?

2. As the existing lutino female cockatiel has layed an egg but she is not sitting on that egg for hatching, is she in the process of laying another egg and then she will hatch all the eggs together?

Also should I place some warm incandescent bulb near the breeding pot, or the female will do it naturally after laying all the eggs together?

Please suggest what can be done in the above 2 problems?

Last edited by charles.felix; 03-16-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Old 03-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Vickitiel is on a distinguished road

I would keep your lonely female separated even though she doesn't like it. She could end up getting seriously hurt if the pair decide she is a real threat to their egg. Perhaps cover part of her cage with a cloth to keep her comforted and calm. Is the male sitting on the egg? You shouldn't need to add a bulb, the pair will hopefully sit soon. Sometimes they don't sit straight away. Good luck and keep us updated!

+ Georgie the Indian Ringneck and 'tiel sisters Cheeky and Squeaky

Thank you Stephanie (CaliTiels) for the signature!

Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 19
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
ninfatiel is on a distinguished road

I agree with Vickitiel-that lonely female should be separated. Put her in the other room if you must. Or create a wall between cages,so she dont see the other cage. If you do buy a new bird,keep him separately for a month,so that if he is sick he wont pass the illness to others. Best of luck to you!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:26 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
tielfan is on a distinguished road

The single female should be kept in a separate cage. Cockatiels don't usually destroy the eggs of other birds, so that might not be too big of a risk. But it's possible that the pair might hurt her or even kill her because she's intruding on their nesting territory and they don't want her there. Having to defend their nest against an intruder also puts a lot of stress on the parent birds.

It's common for cockatiel parents to not start incubating until several eggs have been laid.

If they accepted her it would be all right to leve her in there - sometimes three or even four cockatiels will raise a clutch together. But if the real parents don't accept any other birds, you need to keep other birds away from them.

The single hen might be happier if you can put her cage close to the pair's cage, so she can still have their companionship. But you also have to see how they react to this. If having her close upsets them, then you need to move her further away.

The situation will change when you bring a new bird into the flock. You've already had some illness problems and now you've got a pair with eggs, which puts them under additional stress. So it's more important than usual to quarantine the new bird and not expose the other birds to any germs that he might be carrying, until you're sure that everyone is healthy.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 03-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Thankyou...!

Me and my wife went to the petshop and bought 1 new pair of lutino lovebirds and a handsome and cute lutino male cockatiel.

When we returned home and kept the old cage beside the new one in which the new lutino male cockatiel was brought, at that instant the lonely grey cockatiel stepped outside the old cage in lust.
When I opened the new cage the female grey cockatiel came inside the new cage without any effort.

But now it seems that there is an age difference between new lutino male cockatiel and old & lonely female cockatiel, it seems the difference in thier age is about an year .
The new cockatiel we brought seems to be quite younger, it seems about 6 months in age.

Problem:
1. Now keeping the new male lutino cockatiel with an older grey female cocktiel seems strange, the female is picking him up everytime to mate. But he is not of age.
(The new lutino male cockatiel is very adorable we name it phunsuk)
2. My another pair in which female lutino cockatiel layed her first egg 3 days ago seems to be active from 2 days, but its been more than 72 hours and she has not layed her second egg, now we are worried as we can see a bump around the bottom vent which seems she will be soon laying an egg. Is it normal for a cockatiel to lay eggs at more than 72 hours interval?

Last edited by charles.felix; 03-19-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Old 03-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Cockatiels usually lay eggs every other day, but the interval can be longer or shorter than that. Keep an eye on her to make sure she's all right.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/