How to keep Honey happy in a small and old cage? - Page 2 - Talk Cockatiels Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Cockatiel Gallery
Members List
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Sticky Library

Cockatiel Talk

Cockatiel Housing/Toys

Cockatiel Pictures

Cockatiel Videos

Cockatiel Health

Food & Nutrition

Training & Bonding

Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk > Cockatiel Housing and Toys

Notices

Cockatiel Housing and Toys All discussion of cages, cage setup, aviaries, toys, play gyms, etc. should go here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Nimra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean20057 View Post
Here's that double:

https://smile.amazon.com/Double-Flig...ds=flight+cage

I wasn't sure how much you were wanting to spend on a new cage, but this one would be really nice for her!
I would love to have this cage, but its too expensive. An american dollar is 105 rupees, so this cage would cost me a lot! Thanks for that, anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotletsRock View Post
Remove the nest pots she does not need them and add some toys.
I will remove one of them. Honey really likes the nest pot she was sitting on. She likes to sit inside it and she hardly ever gets up from that thing, except to eat and drink.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimra View Post
I will remove one of them. Honey really likes the nest pot she was sitting on. She likes to sit inside it and she hardly ever gets up from that thing, except to eat and drink.
That's not healthy for her tho... and she should have toys.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
jean20057 is on a distinguished road

What's your budget?
Old 10-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The issue here is that this is NOT healthy for her. This is nesting behavior and you do not want to promote laying in a single hen. That can lead to egg binding and vet bills can get expensive. So first things first, take both pots out. Tiels do not require beds, they actually sleep on perches naturally. Having to sleep on a perch will not hurt her in the least and is good for her feet and nails.

Having an idea of your budget would helps us help you find a cage. Any chance you could check out thrift shops or garage sales? I know there are lots of buy, sell, trade sites on fb in my area. I found both of my dog kennels that way.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 10-17-2016, 03:28 AM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information
shaenne is on a distinguished road

Garage sales or fb buy/swap/sell pages can be an excellent place to find cheap, used bird cages. After a thorough disinfect and scrub out, a used cage can be a very cost effective way of upgrading your fids home.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy culver View Post
The issue here is that this is NOT healthy for her. This is nesting behavior and you do not want to promote laying in a single hen. That can lead to egg binding and vet bills can get expensive. So first things first, take both pots out. Tiels do not require beds, they actually sleep on perches naturally. Having to sleep on a perch will not hurt her in the least and is good for her feet and nails.

Having an idea of your budget would helps us help you find a cage. Any chance you could check out thrift shops or garage sales? I know there are lots of buy, sell, trade sites on fb in my area. I found both of my dog kennels that way.
Firstly, I know nesting behavior. She doesn't sit inside the pot that often, she just likes to perches on it. And she does move around, she just doesn't use the other perch because once my housekeeper put a piece of pipe over it when it got damaged. Honey had slipped and then she had injured her foot badly. She hasn't gotten over that accident, which is why she perches on that pot because there are no other perches and the other pot is too close to the top of the cage for her to sit on. She does hang on to the bars of the cage when we put the cage outside.
Secondly, I don't really want to buy a new cage, and neither do my parents. This cage is in a good condition now that the perch is fixed. It is more convenient for me as I can change the food without opening the cage and it comes with a tray which is easy to clean. I don't see why I should waste a perfectly good cage. I am working on making foraging toys and perches and I think Honey will be fine in that cage once I am done setting it up. It is bigger then it looks in the picture and Honey never liked big cages (I don't know why, they scare her).
Any more ideas on making toys? Can anyone write down the steps to making simple but fun toys? I will appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

She sits on the pot and never moves off of it because there is no reason to, she has no toys and no stimulation, she needs a much bigger perch made out of natural wood of varying thicknesses to excersise her feet and legs, she needs toys, tiels especially like to chew and shred so wooden things and things she can chew and destroy are best, the cage loonks to be about 20 inches by 20 inches by 20 inches not counting the peak. In my opinion that is not very large for a tiel. It is ok if they spend most of their time out of the cage, but the bigger the cage the better.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=242 this sticky has lots of ideas for toys. Birds like to chew on things, so anything chewable (cardboard for instance) is a good idea. I also like to use lettuce or kale to hang in the cage as a toy and a food, the birds always got a kick out of that.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 10-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
SilverSage is on a distinguished road

I know you are resisting it, but you need to remove both pots. They are nearly impossible to clean properly and you are inviting disease. They also take up tons of room in s cage that is already way too small. She also needs multiple perches of various sizes, ESPECIALLY if she has an injured foot. She needs to be out of her cage pretty much all day every day if you are going to keep her in that tiny cage. You should probably look into repairing the other cage on your own or start saving for a new cage for her.

As for toys, most things made out of colored paper, clean baskets, etc are good. Whole kale leaves make great toys/food as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Titan
Indian Ringeck Parakeets: Blue, Kamehameha, Ka'iulani, Kahili, Shadow, Ali'i, Noni, Pono, Smokey, Hapu'u
Budgie: Napoleon
Closed Thread