Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Breeding

Notices

Cockatiel Breeding Do you want to learn about breeding cockatiels? Ask questions and share advice here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
feather20 is on a distinguished road
Default The odd couple

Hello everyone! So I have an interesting situation...I have an outdoor aviary and decided to let my 8 year old pet female cockatiel live out the rest of her days in the aviary with the rest of the birds. I had no idea she would befriend/pair with a male cockatiel I intended to pair with another female. I have never in the many years I have had her seen her lay an egg and when I went to check nest boxes their were 4 eggs!!I know they are hers as her and her mate take turns sitting them. I have a round-a-bout time frame when they were layed but it seems like they are past due to hatch. I am not sure what to do?? I talked to a cockatiel breeder before putting her with the others and was told being how old she was that she wouldn't breed and probably wouldn't pair up.

Do I leave the eggs in their and see what happens?? I feel like they are over-due to hatch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Cockatiel hens can breed successfully until they're 12 or so, so she's still got some good breeding years left. You can candle the eggs to check for signs of fertility.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

I would candle the eggs. When you say live out her days....how long do you think tiels live? The longest living tiel is 36 yrs old (I think that's the one that holds the record) and we have several on here that are in their 20s. She's got quite a lot of life left in her.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 02-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

I had no idea Tielfan! I was always led to believe that around 7 and older they quit breeding! Thank you for your response.

Tielfan & Roxy Culver how do I go about that when her or her mate is sitting them? Like in terms of not freaking them out and causing them to break eggs?

And Roxy Culver I didn't mean for it to sound like she was going to pass away anytime soon she has always been a really good family pet so we kept her indoors with us. Since I and my brothers have gone off to college I wanted her to make some friends since we couldn't constantly have her with us. I helped my grandpa convert his old chicken coop into an aviary for her and the other birds we have. She will always have a place to be happy and have friends! Thank you for your response Roxy Culver!
Old 02-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

They will NOT be pleased when you invade the nestbox. An untame bird is likely to flee, but a tame bird is likely to attack you, and the eggs will get trampled during the attack. So be prepared to make them leave the nest quickly to reduce the risk of damage.

Some people use a spatula to scoop the attacking parent toward the door. I find it easier to wear gloves, push the parent away from the eggs and then pick them up if they haven't already decided to leave (be careful not to pick up any eggs/babies while you're doing this). Cockatiels are usually very dedicated parents, so this disturbance does not normally discourage them from coming back into the nest and resuming their duties. In fact you'll need to plan how you'll keep them away long enough for you to check the eggs without them coming back in.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Sounds like a cockatiel rodeo I will give it a try! Thank you so much Tielfan for all your advice!! I truly appreciate it
Old 02-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

More like wrestling alligators lol.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
More like wrestling alligators lol.
Now that's the truth. And they make the meanest faces.
Jeep-normal gray cock

Old 02-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Ok so I candled 2 eggs out of the 7 that were in their!! I was shocked to find that many. And of course both the parents had to be in their and could not get them to leave the nest box....So one egg I candled I saw blood vessels forming. The other egg I didn't see anything formed inside. I was planning to go back later to do some more candling in hopes both parents wouldn't be in there to make things more complicated.

If their are a few bad eggs will the parents throw them out? or push them to the other side of the nest box?
Old 02-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information

No, as the eggs provide warmth for the good eggs and babies that hatch. The only time I remove eggs from a nest is if there are too many or there are dead in shell babies (babies that started to develop then died in the egg.) Eggs that are clear are nothing to worry about and since there are seven eggs, any new eggs aren't going to show any development yet. No luck in getting the birds to leave the nest with a spatula or gloves? It's really best to get them out of the nest and block the hole until you're done.
Jeep-normal gray cock

Closed Thread