Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Breeding

Notices

Cockatiel Breeding Do you want to learn about breeding cockatiels? Ask questions and share advice here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
Amatiq is on a distinguished road
Default When/If to pull for handfeeding

I bought a proven pair last fall, and they have hatched out one chick. They've taken very good care of it, (we're at 15 days old), but they seem to be taking much less interest in it the last 24 hours. I know that the lady I bought them from pulled her chicks for handfeeding at 14-16 days.
I would rather not pull one chick to handfeed, but I have handfed before and can do it if necessary.
A few mornings ago, I noticed that they were mating. I'm thinking that htey are used to having their chicks pulled at about 2 weeks and are thinking about laying eggs again.
My question is, how do I best monitor to be sure they are continuing to feed and care for this chick past the 2 week mark? What am I looking for, and how long would I wait before pulling if they are ignoring it crying for food? My working theory is that they will continue ot feed it, since it's right there in their face crying for food. But, I want to be ready in case they don't and not wait too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
SilverSage is on a distinguished road

Something to keep in mind is that they may not just ignore the baby, but they may actually attack it, confused as to why it is still there. I would pull it if I were you. This is the reason I always let my breeders raise their first clutch all the way through, and every once in a while do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Titan
Indian Ringeck Parakeets: Blue, Kamehameha, Ka'iulani, Kahili, Shadow, Ali'i, Noni, Pono, Smokey, Hapu'u
Budgie: Napoleon
Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 19
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
ninfatiel is on a distinguished road

I would start to feed now-feed and put back with parents. If you wait at introducing handfeeding-the chick will surely reject it,its already very big-personally, I introduce hadfeeding at 5-7 days (once a day in the morning). Watch for crop-at this stage it should alaways be round-with lots of food in it. Listen for the sound of feeding,if parents dont do it-you should. Another thing-if the pair is going to lay eggs,they may try-to get rid of the chick still in the nest-by killing it-pecking to death,so watch out for that as well

Old 02-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

I hadn't thought of that being a factor. Good point. Welp, I'll just go get a brooder ready then.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that at this stage the parents do start leaving the nest more often because the babies have started growing feathers and don't require the parents 24/7 anymore. Any way to find out if they've ever raised a clutch completely before? Double clutching is very normal and very hard to prevent so it's not surprising that they are mating again already.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 02-20-2017, 12:36 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
tielfan is on a distinguished road

If the previous owner always pulled them at this age, the parents have been taught that their job ends at this point, and they're already thinking about a new clutch. I agree with the idea of feeding the baby when its crop is empty and putting it back in the nest to re-educate the parents.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy culver View Post
Any way to find out if they've ever raised a clutch completely before? Double clutching is very normal and very hard to prevent so it's not surprising that they are mating again already.
She says that there were times when she couldn't get around to pulling them exactly at 14 days, but she doesn't think this particular pair every raised a clutch fully to weaning.
They are still feeding the chick. I pulled it for a feeding last night and it accepted it readily, so I suppose I'll just keep a close eye for right now. (Parents are still feeding it this am).
I actually intended to pull the clutch if there had been more than one, but with just one chick it seems lonely for him/her and pointlessly time consuming for me.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
tielfan is on a distinguished road

If you want to, you can continue feeding the chick once a day to socialize it to humans. Sharing the feeding responsibilities with the parents is called co-parenting. I like it better than pulling for handfeeding, because I think it gives the chick the advantages of both types of feeding.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Closed Thread