trying to stop breeding behaviour.. need some help - Page 3 - Talk Cockatiels Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Cockatiel Gallery
Members List
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Sticky Library

Cockatiel Talk

Cockatiel Housing/Toys

Cockatiel Pictures

Cockatiel Videos

Cockatiel Health

Food & Nutrition

Training & Bonding

Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk

Notices

Cockatiel Talk Talk about anything cockatiel related here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
philiplolc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tielfan View Post
Pied birds don't follow the usual rules. It can take years for males to lose all their baby markings..
ah, ok.. and that's what i'm doing now.. cages side by side

i actually got the 4th one hoping it'd bond with my grey WF pearl.. it seemed like the male & female WF cinnamon pearls were closer even though there was nothing sexual.. and now this, back to square one

reconsidering exchanging the 4th for another now.. so much hassle.. but then the next one could be worse or have different problems.. decisions decisions

you've got 13 tiels right? do you breed them? then give/sell away or just keep them until you get more and more?

any issues with offsprings living together with parents? that'd be a whole set of different problems i'm guessing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

apparently i've been having it easy for one year.. alot more to learn.. started looking up on breeding and came across alot of stuff i've not been noticing

just saw this from another thread
http://www.silversageaviaries.com/handlinghormones/

anyway.. thanks.. need to brush up on this real quick
Old 02-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

I've actually got 14 tiels now, and need to update my profile. Life with cockatiels is a soap opera and most of them are pursuing hopeless romances, so I've only got three breeding pairs. I try to limit each pair to one clutch a year, but it's hard to stop Shodu that early so there's usually a second clutch from her. I sell the babies because I don't have room to keep them all. But four of my current birds (Teela, Squeebis, Snowy and Henry) are the children of Buster and Shodu.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/

Old 02-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
Life with cockatiels is a soap opera
i only just realised.. i've been having it easy for a year..
Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 19
ninfatiel is on a distinguished road

I dont know the age of your tiels,but I think the middle cockatiel is a female,,not male, I can see the perfect pearls and male over 1y.o should loose them. The new pied one just may be young male judging by the tail,here is good article about sexing pieds..http://www.justcockatiels.net/pied.html
Old 02-28-2017, 01:00 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Another thing I wanted to say- I dont believe in reducing the quality of food,putting tiels on dry food only to stop breeding,they need a balanced diet breeding or no breeding, So when unwanted mating happens with my tiels- I have to keep them separately..I have never seen two birds of the same sex mating,if there are birds of opposite sex around..-your female and new bird may be a pair, and if you ever decide to breed them-they may become good parents,mine 'love at first sight''couples always turn out to be successful.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:43 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninfatiel View Post
I dont know the age of your tiels,but I think the middle cockatiel is a female,,not male, I can see the perfect pearls and male over 1y.o should loose them. The new pied one just may be young male judging by the tail,here is good article about sexing pieds..http://www.justcockatiels.net/pied.html
you know what.. i never even considered that before.. i'm an idiot.. thanks for pointing that out, that explains some things

i've only been getting problems when i introduced the male grey WF pearl couple months ago.. the grey fighting with the middle, the 1st avoiding the grey, and suddenly both my WF cinnamons going really high up to perch for sleeping.. probably explains them avoiding the grey male.. i see the middle bickering with the grey i tot she was a male, so fierce, fighting over my 1st female.. and i also see the middle always looking for the 1st female, i tot she was trying to court the 1st one.. now i know better.. probably going to find the fellow female for company instead of that grey male

and its all my fault too.. i've been playing more with my 1st female, she's the closest with me.. that explains why i could have triggered her hormones.. so now every time i see her getting hormonal i feel kinda guilty.. dang.. really need to pay closer attention.. did i say i'm an idiot already
Old 02-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Dont be hard on yourself,we all do have our favorites.. I have 20 tiels but play with some more often then with others. female birds may fight with male,especially if they are not tame..on that same site 'justcockatiels.com there is plenty of info on how to determine true sex of the birds,so you may be surprised once you learn their true identity)) As for your grey male-he hast found his match yet))) some of them are really picky when it comes to partners. but since you have few birds and good conditions, its inevitable that they will want to breed,so you may have to keep males and females separately

Last edited by ninfatiel; 02-28-2017 at 07:29 PM..
Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
Dont be hard on yourself,we all do have our favorites.. you may have to keep males and females separately
haha.. thanks

i didn't consider the breeding thing.. just thought since these are flock birds, they'd like to hang out in bigger groups.. so i added a couple

the first 2 wf cinnamons didn't seem to hit it off too much.. added the grey but also the same, in fact, more bickering and fighting over sleeping perches.. so added the 4th but getting unwanted consequences with the breeding.. although this 4th one is like the glue, everyone likes him.. haha

they all have distinct personalities, i just have to be more careful letting them play together when i'm around.. otherwise, like you said, separate them by sex

really, thx for that.. not sure how i could have overlooked that..
Old 03-02-2017, 12:49 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
.. Life with cockatiels is a soap opera..
Quote:
..middle cockatiel is a female..
oh man, definitely soap opera.. today caught my 1st female trying the deed again with dat pied.. so i split her by herself from the group.. now 3 hrs later, i catch the 2nd wf cinnamon doing the bending over and dat pied actually tried to mount her.. so its pretty much confirmed the middle cinnamon is also a female

which means i got 2 females trying to mate with the stud of a pied.. man, but none successfully cos i've always been there to stop them.. feels wrong trying to stop them.. what should i do now? haiz

have you all ever had one male mating with 2 females? i thought i read somewhere they bond for life or something.. so it doesn't seem like this is normal behaviour

Last edited by philiplolc; 03-02-2017 at 01:00 AM..
Closed Thread