Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
bobsinoregon is on a distinguished road
Default What are the chances a Chronic Egg Layer ......

will respond in an on-going basis to a Avian Vet hormone injections?

I have a female most loving tiel, who at her young age, has become a chronic egg layer. She is a pet, no male, no breeding. I understand not all female tiels will be chronic egg layers, some may only lay two times a year, an egg or two.

We are trying hormone (sorry, can't remember name) therapy, but if unsuccessful, the vet says a hysterectomy is what she performs, at the cost of $650.

I tried, changing the cage environment, amount of day light, etc.

My question is, have any of you had this situation and success with hormone therapy? Should I rehome her to a breeder, as it is more in order with nature.

I can't afford a hysterectomy. Please share your experience and thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
chrissy055 is on a distinguished road

I am curious as well, since we have a 5 month old female. We wouldn't be able to afford a hysterectomy either. I would like to know what others say about this with experience. My vet did tell us as well that this could be an issue or it may not be. She told us that a hysterectomy is a risky procedure on a bird.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

There are usually 2 different shots they give for this, both contain Progestin in different amounts. Depo Provera is typically used, is a 3 month or 6 month shot, and it stops ovulation completely. Lupron is the second, and it basically is chemical castration for females. It basically puts the female into menopause chemically. I'm not aware of any other hormones used in veterinary medicine for this purpose, it's typically Progestin, but there may be others as of now, I don't know.

The two shots I've listed are actually very effective, and the nice thing is that they are temporary so if you should ever want to breed her, it's possible once the shot wears off. I'm assuming your vet is using Depo Provera, it's a very common form of birth control in both animals and people, and it has a very high success rate in stopping ovulation, so it's typically the drug of choice. There are no guarantees, but the chances that your bird will still lay eggs on Depo is very low...(Think of it's efficiency like human birth control, very high rate of success, but a very small chance it will not work).

If your vet is using something else let me know, I may know about it as well.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Old 02-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
Default name of injection

the vet used Lupron. thoughts?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
chrissy055 is on a distinguished road

@EllenD,
how often do they receive these shots?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

she has had one and we await when\if she starts laying again. I understand it can be about every 6 months if needed to keep their cycle off.

does anyone have experience with lupron?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Lupron is the treatment that is usually used for birds. There's also an implant called Suprelorin. You might want to inquire about that. There's a discussion about it here: http://forums.avianavenue.com/index....d-birds.19109/

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 02-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Lupron is usually a shot every 6 months, though I think they can do every 3 as well. Lupron basically shuts down production of all sex hormones completely, stops ovulation, and is basically chemical castration. It is usually very effective, though the side effects can be nasty. To be honest I don't know much about the side effects in birds, though I'm an expert on this topic in humans... Unfortunately, lol.

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries at the age of 15, but that diagnosis ended up being incorrect. I actually have had endometriosis since then. I'm 37 now, but at the age of 31 I couldn't take it anymore. I had had several laparoscopic surgeries done and was on birth control to try to control it. Didn't work. They removed my right ovary at the age of 32 because it had been taken over by the endometriosis. I had pretty much spent 2 weeks out of every month since I was 13 in horrible agony, so I didn't really care about having kids at that point, I had my birds and my dogs!

They forced me to try Depo Provera, it's a 3-month shot. I call Depo Provera "Satan's Drug". Literally 3 days after I got the shot I suddenly had the worst back pain I had ever felt in my life. It felt like my spine was collapsing in on itself. My bones felt like they were on fire. I was in so much more pain from the Depo Provera than I was from the ovarian cysts, the irony was not amusing at all, lol. But it definitely did stop me from ovulating, lol. The problem is that you're stuck with it for 3 months, and then it takes another month to get it all out of your system. But it did it's job I guess. Then my surgeon wanted to try Lupron, which he told me is not as harsh as the Depo Provera is as far as the side effects, but the Lupron stops everything. So essentially Lupron puts you into menopause chemically. It was a 6 month shot...I said he'll no, just make this stop, it's been 17 years and I'm tired...So they did a complete open abdominal hysterectomy and also took out my remaining ovary and fallopian tube. So at 32 I went into full blown menopause and had to start taking estrogen because the hot flashes, night sweats, fatigue, etc. were too much to take. I don't know if the menopause at my age is better or worse than the pain of the ovarian cysts was or not...

The reason I'm telling this story is because at the age of 32, after I had the hysterectomy, I had never once had an abnormal pap smear. Changes in cells and those types of issues were not my problem, I only had ovarian cysts caused by the endometriosis. Well, a year after the hysterectomy, and about two and a half years after having 4 Depo Provera shots, I was diagnosed with stage one cervical cancer. I had lesions that developed where my cervix used to be, on the scar tissue there. Cervical cells left behind had started changing, and high grade dysplasia developed, then I was finally diagnosed with malignant lesions. I was 35. Since I had never had anything like this when I actually still had my cervix and was still producing estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone, I was automatically blaming it on the Premarin I had been taking for over 2 years as hormone replacement therapy. I was told more than likely it was not the Premarin at all, it's only conjugated estrogens, it contains no progesterone, which is the component of HRT that usually causes breast and ovarian cancer. They think it's due to the Depo Provera. There's no way to prove it, but it's very common for women that have been on Depo Provera or Lupron to develop cancers in the future, and since I'm in the very small group of people that have been diagnosed with cervical cancer after having a hysterectomy, AND who never had an abnormal pap smear prior to being on the Depo Provera, it's pretty likely...

So that's my story. Sorry to go into detail, but I thought I'd give my take on these hormones. They definitely do work well, and I really can't imagine your bird being on Lupron and still ovulating, it just doesn't seem likely at all. I don't know the exact efficiency rate of Lupron but I'm going to assume that it should stop your birds from laying eggs. Again, I have no idea about the side effects in birds, and I also don't know what the risks involved in giving a bird Lupron or Depo Provera are either, though since they work in the same way that they do in humans I'm going to assume the risks are also the same as they are in humans. That being said, if I had to choose between giving my bird Lupron and taking that long-term risk, or not giving her Lupron and allowing her to very likely become egg-bound, I would give her the Lupron without question. Egg binding kills so many birds so quickly, I lost one breeder budgie to it and that was enough. I have saved a lot of my breeder budgies that were egg bound, but watching that one single hen suffer so much and then I lost her anyway, that is something that I never want to have to go through again. So the Lupron is a very good choice and I would think it will completely stop your bird's egg laying without much trouble at all.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
DeeDee63 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am new to the forum and taking a look around. I saw your post and remembered just yesterday that I had read an interesting article on chronic egg laying. You may want to check with your vet first but there is a natural product called Releave, mentioned here:
https://www.vetary.com/bird/conditio...nic-egg-laying Let us know how things go as this is something we could all use advice on!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:22 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but there are a couple of problems with that product.
1. It has been discontinued. It was made by the Harrisons Bird Food company but is no longer on their website.
2. It's highly unlikely that it actually did anything. Raspberry leaf hasn't been actually proved to work, but its traditional use in humans is as a fertility enhancer, not a hormone decreaser. The instructions for the product called for you to leave the lights on continuously for a period of time (three straight days as I recall), and that sort of thing DOES work on a lot of birds. Nobody knows exactly why, but it probably messes up the bird's sense of time and season. So it doesn't know what's going on and gives up on the attempt to breed.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Closed Thread