Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk

Notices

Cockatiel Talk Talk about anything cockatiel related here.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
malakelnashar is on a distinguished road
Default I'm concerned!

Hi everyone.. I'm an owner of 2 cockatiels: Grey a 1 1/2 year old male and Joy a 1 year old female..
I'm conserned, I think Grey is sick: he sneezes (not quite often) but sometimes his droppings are normal and sometimes they're quite strange (1 or 2 strange droppings in the cage floor but not every day).. The avian vet is out of town and we don't have a lot of avian vets here in Egypt..
Sometimes he's so active and doesn't stop singing and climbing in the cage, and sometimes he's fluffed up and seems exhausted (often in the night).. He eats well.. But sometimes he sneezes and as I said sometimes I think his droppings are quite strange..
Is he sick? Or it's normal?
Should I be worried!
Can I take him to a normal Vet or he needs an avian vet?

Last edited by malakelnashar; 02-27-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
chrissy055 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
When I tried calling for our 5 month old female cockatiel, I know some places wouldn't see her unless they had an avian vet. I think you should take them to a vet and call around to see if there are any normal vets that can see them. Ava was fluffed up a lot so a month ago i took her to our Avian vet and she had a throat infection. I would since you said he is fluffed up a lot. Or sometimes there are emergency clinics that have avian vets that rotate schedules.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

It sounds very much like you need to get your bird to an avian vet immediately. Any signs of an upper respiratory infection or a sinus infection are serious, and as birds hide symptoms of illness as long as they can, by the time they are actually sneezing, have odd droppings, act tired, etc. they have been sick for quite some time and are very sick at this point. So I wouldn't wait around, I would absolutely get your bird to a vet ASAP.

Unfortunately general vets or even exotic vets that "see birds" do not often know very much about diagnosing and treating birds. It's very important for a general vet to do a fecal smear and a gram stain on the fresh sample you should bring in with you to your appointment, and they really should take a throat/nostril swab and do a culture and sensitivity to diagnose what bacteria is causing the infection and what antibiotic will work. So often general vets do nothing but listen to what you tell them about your bird, they will hear you say that your bird has been sneezing and has been tired, and then they just give you a broad spectrum antibiotic and that's it. They do no tests at all, just give you an antibiotic that they hope will cover the infection your bird has and that's it. And then a week later your bird is much worse, and you have to take your bird back and then they'll give you another antibiotic to try, and so on...That's the difference between a general or exotics vet and an actual avian vet...

I would do your best to find another avian vet that you can get to as soon as possible, but if a general or exotics vet is all you can get your bird to see in the next day then yes, you should go immediately. Make sure you tell the vet everything that has been going on, take a fresh poop sample from the morning of the appointment (clean his cage the night before his appointment and put fresh paper towels down to collect a fresh sample), and please insist on the vet at least doing a fecal smear and a throat/sinus swab to diagnose the bacterium and to prescribe the correct antibiotic that will treat that specific bacterium.

As soon as your avian vet is back then take your bird in to see him immediately, and take all medications, test results (be sure to ask for copies!!!), and paperwork that the general vet gives you to the avian vet. That way the avian vet can make sure your bird was accurately diagnosed and given the proper medication.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Old 02-27-2017, 06:37 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

@Ellen,

I'm not sure this time but my cockatiel is still a little fluffed up. Not like before when I took her to the vet but not sure if I am just worrying about her or if all cockatiels are a bit fluffed up? I'm a new owner so I am not sure what is normal or not.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

It's normal for birds to be fluffed up when the air is cool or when they're sleeping. This is what they do instead of putting on a sweater or a blanket. Right now it's winter in the Northern Hemisphere and many people are keeping their houses a bit cooler than they are in the summer. So you might see your bird fluffed up more often. If the house is so warm that you're wearing short pants and short sleeves and the bird is still fluffed up a lot of the time, there might be a problem.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 02-28-2017, 06:08 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

Thank you so much,
I'm trying my best to find an avian vet..
And I hope everything goes well..
Old 02-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Thanks Tielfan! We keep our house at 71 degrees so Ava's case is between 70-71.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
Oztiel is on a distinguished road

If your bird is fluffed up and sits for long periods of time that can be an indicator of something more serious.

However cockatiels do fluff up for other reasons. If he moves about and sings,chats eats and does the other normal cockatiel things it is more than likely he is okay.

If the strange droppings are intermittent I would put that down to something different to what was normally eaten by your bird.
A check ,even by a non avian vet is will not hurt, especially if you are still worried about your bird.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:18 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

Thank you Oztiel..
I didn't find an avian vet yet, so I'm gonna give them some vitamins and take a closer look on Grey's behaviour (he's molting by the way).. He was active today and I didn't see him fluffed up and he was angry bcz I covered the cage at 10 pm .. I cleaned the cage floor and put in white papers so I could monitor his droppings..

But I'm still worried
Old 02-28-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Molting is physically demanding, so that could be a reason for "off" behavior. But if a bird has any kind of minor illness, any type of physical stress can make it worse.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/