Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Breeding

Notices

Cockatiel Breeding Do you want to learn about breeding cockatiels? Ask questions and share advice here.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
jennygn is on a distinguished road
Default 1st pip mark on day 15??

Hi everyone! It's been a really long time since I've posted here. A lot has changed in our lives since. Rio now had a boyfriend named Bob. I was told he's at least 2-3 years old. Anyway, the two lovebirds are sitting on their very first clutch of 3 eggs! She laid 5, but #1 and #2 were sadly DIS a little over a week ago. If the first one had lived, I was expecting it to have hatched anytime between yesterday and Saturday (18-21 days). She started incubating after the 1st one.

Egg #3 was laid on February 22, #4 on February 25, and #5 on February 27. So today, egg #3 is 15 days old. Earlier, when I checked on the eggs, it appears as if egg #3 has a pip mark. Is that possible on day 15?? Is it something I should be worried about? Everything I've read says 18-21 days! I would be worried that one of my birds poked a toenail through it or something, but I really don't think that's the case, as it looks like it has come from the inside. It's not a hole, but like a tiny roundish crack that is raised and can be felt.

Any input/advice would be appreciated. This is my first clutch, too, and I'm so nervous, especially after losing two already. That really broke my heart.

Thank you moonchild for the pretty signature!

Last edited by jennygn; 03-09-2017 at 08:17 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

I've had eggs hatch as early as day 16. Day 17 seems to be the most popular day to hatch in my flock, but 18 happens too. I don't think they've ever done it later than that.

The hatching time for eggs is variable and the weather can speed it up or slow it down. Day 15 would be very early for an egg to actually hatch, but it can take a day or two for the hatch process to be completed and this egg might not be finished until day 16 or 17. Just make sure that there's not too much humidity or too little. 50% is considered ideal, but my guys hatch out well with less than that.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 03-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Thank you tielfan. I guess I was assuming day 18 meant the day the hatching process would begin, like the first pip mark. So, what you're saying makes more sense... I saw the first pip mark yesterday, so it could hatch today or maybe tomorrow, which would make it day 16 or 17. It's not time to uncover my birds yet, so I haven't checked on its progress this morning, but I will shortly.

I have no way of monitoring humidity levels. Is there a device you would recommend? I think it might be a good idea for me to invest in something for the future, as I have no idea what caused the deaths of #1 and #2.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Fran.bath89 is on a distinguished road

You can get battery operated himidity checking probes or the little stick on ones for in reptile vivs
Canaries: 1 yellow, 1 brown/orange, 1 brown/yellow, 1 silver, 2 yellow dimorphic
Zebra finches: 1 white, 1 black cheeked, 1 normal, 1 fawn
Chinese painted quail: 1 normal, 1 white, 1 heavy pied
Diamond dove: 2 normal, 1 pied, 1 white
Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

Hardware stores have inexpensive air thermometers that also measure the humidity. I have this one which currently costs $10 at Home Depot. It doesn't show the humidity level inside the nest, but it will show you the level close to the nest which is good enough. http://www.homedepot.com/p/AcuRite-D...19HD/202260980

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Thanks guys. It's been almost 48 hours since I saw the first pip mark. The little guy hasn't made much more progress. Just a couple more cracks beside the first one, and then another not right beside the others, but a little further over? I can hear chirping. How much longer can it take?

Old 03-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Never mind, he's out! 😍😍

Old 03-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

Yay, I'm glad he made it OK! Sometimes chicks just aren't able to break out on their own. If you have concerns in the future about whether a baby is in trouble, this article can help tell you when to intervene and how to do it: http://www.justcockatiels.net/assist-hatches.html

Old 03-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Fran.bath89 is on a distinguished road

Awwwwwwwwww baby!!!! I loved the "never mind he's out" lol have any more hatched? I think I miscalculated mine I thought they'd start Friday coming but they started on Sunday just gone ooops!
Canaries: 1 yellow, 1 brown/orange, 1 brown/yellow, 1 silver, 2 yellow dimorphic
Zebra finches: 1 white, 1 black cheeked, 1 normal, 1 fawn
Chinese painted quail: 1 normal, 1 white, 1 heavy pied
Diamond dove: 2 normal, 1 pied, 1 white
Old 03-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Thanks again tielfan. I actually found that article myself while frantically looking for help. It had been 53 hours since the first pip mark, and he had made such little progress, so I did have to assist the baby with hatching. Everything went well, though. He'd already absorbed the yolk, but the membrane was drying out and sticking to him, so I guess that's what hindered his ability to make it out on his own.

No more babies yet, Fran. Egg #4 had a pip mark when I checked at 9:30 yesterday morning. This evening, there are two or three more cracks, but are they supposed to be close together? These are not. There is space between them. I'm keeping a close eye on it. #5 was laid 5 days after #3, so I'm not expecting to see anything from it until tomorrow. I can hear #4 chirping away inside, though not as loud as #3 was.

Anyway, the first baby is doing great. Mom and dad are so busy feeding him and keeping him warm, that they're going to have their hands full for sure when the other two hatch!