Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Breeding

Notices

Cockatiel Breeding Do you want to learn about breeding cockatiels? Ask questions and share advice here.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
jennygn is on a distinguished road

Baby #1 weighed 4g yesterday and was up to 8g this morning!

Thank you moonchild for the pretty signature!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Dry membranes are a sign that the humidity is too low. They prevent the baby from turning normally in the egg, and I'm concerned that the second baby might be having the same problem based on the pattern of cracks that you're seeing.

I live in the desert where the humidity is always low, and this is what I do to raise the humidity near the nest at hatch time. I put a plastic bag on top of the nestbox so the wood doesn't get soaked. because that can cause mold problems. Then I drape a wet towel over the nestbox, with the sides hanging down so there's plenty of humidity next to the nestbox walls. The towel is wet enough to drip on the floor a little bit. I put more water on the towel when it starts to dry out, and keep my humidity gauge close by so I know what's going on.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Is it too late to do that with this clutch, or should I go ahead and try? I helped egg #4 hatch this morning. It went good just like the first time. Egg #5 still hasn't made its first pip mark. I can try raising the humidity with the towel this morning if it will help. Baby #1 was 10g at weigh-in today.

Also, and I hate to keep bugging you tielfan, LOL, but as these are both first time parents, I was curious as to whether it's possible for them to feed the baby too much? I've never seen it with an empty crop. I do try to stay out of the nest box as much as possible, though, so it's not like I'm watching it 24/7, so it could be emptying, and I'm just not seeing it. It's just that this morning, the baby's crop was so full, it looked as if it could burst! It's definitely pooping, though. I can see it in the pine, and also it left a little present on my hand when I picked it up last night. LOL.

Rio is already feeding baby #2. It looks like it's doing fine, besides it did have that black line on its belly like the first baby, which from what I read means it was in the egg too long. What can I do in the future to help with humidity? I mean besides the wet towel? I give them fresh water daily in a baking dish in the bottom of the cage. Leave it in there 24/7. They did use it to wet their feathers before going in the box in the beginning, but I haven't seen them use it in the last week or so. Will a humidifier help if I buy one to put it the room?

Last edited by jennygn; 03-14-2017 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

It's not too late as long as you've got hatches in progress. If the babies are hatching well without it you don't need to. Too much humidity is as bad as too little, so you don't want to add more if there's already enough.

It's normal to always have food in the crop, and it would be a problem if you were seeing babies who were frequently empty. My guys usually don't fill the crop too full when the babies are really tiny, but once they get to be a few days old the parents will fill them up to the point that their crops are bigger than their heads. This is perfectly normal.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

You're in West Virginia so I wouldn't expect the humidity to be too much of a problem, unless it's cold and you're having to run the heat a lot, which dries out the air. I'm in Arizona where it's dry dry dry, and hanging a wet towel over the nestbox at hatch time is the only thing that I do. I've had eggs hatch just fine without even doing that much, but I feel safer raising the humidity level up to 30% or so.

The black line on the belly seems to be pretty common in hatchlings, so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it doesn't disappear pretty quickly.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Yeah, I've had to run the electric heat pretty much all winter, and it's been cold the last few days and snowing today. I've draped a wet towel over the box like you said and am still waiting on egg #5 to pip. Thank you for all the advice.