Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
Duckimint is on a distinguished road
Default Please help if any one can

I don't know if I can do this but I'm desperate. My paisley is my baby and she is ill I can only afford part of her vet cost so I am forced to find help through kind people willing to donate or at least share this post.
https://www.gofundme.com/sick-bird-n...o_cardinvite_a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
DeeDee63 is on a distinguished road

I don't think you can wait for the funds to come in. My neighbor had this issue with her parakeet and was told it had to be dealt with right away. This article here is on egg binding. Vetary also offers financing for pet care at good rates and they are very helpful. I used them for my dog's torn ACL. She needed surgery but is better now. You can also ask a vet a question and maybe they can tell you of the urgency. https://www.vetary.com/bird/condition/egg-binding I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
Amatiq is on a distinguished road

If the issue is egg binding then you need to put the bird somewhere very warm and very humid. In an aquarium on a heating pad in the bathroom with shower running type warm and humid. This can sometimes help them pass the egg. Time is of the essence...so along with your fundraising efforts, make sure bird is being kept in an environment most likely to help her pass the egg. A little mineral oil around the vent may also help, but be extremely careful not ot break the egg that she's trying to pass.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Egg binding is an acute emergency that you will absolutely know that she has, as she will look as though she is carrying an egg that is ready to be laid, she will be constantly trying to push the egg out without any success, and she will be in a lot of pain and discomfort. That being said, here's what you can do at home to try to help her pass the egg if this is the problem; these things need to be done immediately, for if she is really egg-bound she will die quite quickly if the egg is not passed, there is no exception to this:

-Take her into your bathroom and shut the door. You'll need a shallow container that she can stand in that will hold enough warm water to immerse her vent and lower abdominal area, as well as olive oil and Q-Tips
-Start the shower as hot as you can get it and open the shower curtain to get the bathroom as steamy as possible.
-Fill the container with water as warm as you can get it that will be comfortable for her but won't burn her. You want enough water to immerse her vent and lower belly/abdomen
-Put an excess amount of olive oil on a Q-TIP and GENTLY rub a good amount of the oil all around her vent, including right inside the entrance to her vent where the egg passes. DO NOT STICK THE Q-TIP INSIDE HER VENT, JUST COAT THE RIM OF HER VENT
-After you coat her vent very well with the olive oil, immerse her vent and lower abdominal area/muscles in the shallow container of warm water, and put the container with her in it as close to the steam coming from the shower as you can. The idea here is that the steam from the shower and the heat from the very warm water will relax her abdominal muscles, allowing her to push the egg out. Hopefully after about 10 minutes in the water she will start to strain and try to push the egg out. You'll have to hold her in the water container no doubt, just keep your hand on her back forcing her to stay in the water. If she is not tame you'll have to towel her, soaking a towel in very warm water and wrapping it around her vent and lower abdominal area.
-Keep her in this warm water for as long as you have warm water. I did this twice while I was breeding cockatiels and budgies with success, and I simply kept her in the steamy bathroom in very warm water until my shower ran out of hot water.
-Once you run out of hot water dry her off and then once again rub an excess amount of olive oil around the rim of her vent and all around it. Leave the oil on her, do not dry it off.
-After coating her vent with olive oil I would get my heating pad out and put it on the second highest setting, as hot as she could stand it, and hold her while holding the heating pad over her vent and abdominal muscles, always holding her over top of the heating pad with her vent facing down, like she would normally be standing. This continued heat will keep her abdominal muscles relaxed. Every 10 minutes let her walk around a bit to see if she passes the egg, or is at least trying to push it out. Recoat her vent with more olive oil and continue heat with the heating pad. Again, if she is not tame then towel her.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."
Closed Thread