Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Training and Bonding

Notices

Training and Bonding Give and recieve tips on training and bonding with your cockatiel here.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:34 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 19
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
ninfatiel is on a distinguished road

SilverSage I do agree that slowly gaining the trust method by bribing with food and so on is the best,but sadly,far not everyone is capable of patience it involves and these people already have a bird on hand,may be it was a gift and now they not sure how to best approach it..Age is also of importance,older cockatiel is-harder it gets to bribe him and in this particular case Chico bird is already at least 7 y.o. and had negative experience. His owner post made feel like ''desperate times-desperate measures'' Thats why I wrote all this above.. In my practice- I did try both methods with success but like I said-with older bird it may take months to make any progress (if ever) with ''slowly gaining trust method'' and I do believe that bird should be familiar with hands (for above stated reasons). Well,lets leave it for the owner to decide what to do,we can only offer advise,but final decision is always better when you have heard different opinions

Last edited by ninfatiel; 03-29-2017 at 12:37 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
Flooffloofx2 is on a distinguished road

For getting him back into the cage target training is a really good start, however, training works better with birds who trust their owners. If you want a useful reference for training videos search Flock-Talk on youtube. The whole channel is an excellent resource for small parrot care. I also recommend designating a treat bowl if you can't seem to hand feed him much. Every time you pass the cage show him a treat (almonds, spinach and millet are my guys favorites) and then drop it in the bowl. He will then be associating you with good things. Hopefully you can eventually start step up training him again from there. Also I would recommend a vet check up and making sure his diet is good and he is getting enough sleep. Stick with him though! No bird is a lost cause. Good Luck!

Tags
bird taming, cage bound, hand fear, older birds