Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 04:09 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
xxxemmzxxx is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Very ill cockatiel

Hi,

My six year old cockatiel has gone really downhill today. She is an aviary bird and I noticed earlier this week that she seemed off her food but I thought I might have just caught her when she was tired. Today she seemed really lethargic so I took her to the vet and she is very underweight. We have antibiotics to give her (in water with some ribena) but she has gone even more downhill. She is really really sluggish (almost floppy when I pick her up) and her feet are cold. She is covered in a warm room but she isn't eating anything (but has had the water with medicine). Her poo is pure water now with a tiny bit of white). I was wondering if there was anything I could give her to get her energy levels up and encourage her to eat. At this stage I don't think she will make it through the night. She can't walk well but still has enough energy to bite with a bit of force.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
Tochiri is on a distinguished road

You could try giving her food like cooked potatoes or carrots. Cooked beans as well, just make sure it's very soft and easy to eat. Food like this is very treat like so she may be more willing to eat it. Good luck! I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

I hope she'll be OK!

Providing some extra heat will be helpful. You can do this by putting a heating pad under half the cage, or by covering one end of the cage with a towel and shining a lamp on it so the heat goes through the towel and into the cage. Be careful that the lamp isn't close enough to set the towel on fire! The reason for heating only one side of the cage is so she can move if she gets too hot.

It's also very useful to provide electrolytes. I don't know whether Ribena serves that purpose or not, it probably provides sugar but maybe not the salt. The usual way to provide electrolytes is with Pedialyte or a sports drink like Gatorade. There are also simple recipes for making your own: http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/rehydr...navbar=hw86827

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/

Old 04-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

This is the oral rehydration recipe I follow and is recommended for chicks, I imagine it would work just as well for adult birds.... plain coconut water also is great for hydrating birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0841.JPG (55.8 KB, 5 views)
Closed Thread