Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:17 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
Priscilla.413 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Baby cockatiel wheezing

So i posted about Priscilla laying eggs a couple weeks ago and two hatched. The rest are infertile.

One of the babies has started wheezing. The other sounds fine. What could be wrong with the other??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

It may have aspirated some food, meaning that the food went down the wrong way. Aspiration is dangerous and can lead to pneumonia. It would be best to see a vet.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 04-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
SilverSage is on a distinguished road

Please go to a qualified avian vet immediately! Wheezing in any bird is an emergency and can lead to death even after the sound stops. For example if it is aspiration as suggested above, even if the wheezing stops the baby is likely to developed an infection and die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Titan
Indian Ringeck Parakeets: Blue, Kamehameha, Ka'iulani, Kahili, Shadow, Ali'i, Noni, Pono, Smokey, Hapu'u
Budgie: Napoleon

Old 04-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Yep, the baby needs to get to an avian vet ASAP, and please make sure it's an avian vet specifically and not a general or "exotics" vet that "sees birds" for this one. For one, it's a very small, young baby so it's a more serious and delicate situation than it would be in an adult, and also it's a serious issue, especially if it was caused by aspiration.

How old is the wheezing baby? I'm assuming if it's egg was laid only a couple of weeks ago then he's not very old at all. How long has he been wheezing? It could be food that aspirated into his lungs, or it could be fluid from the egg as well if he's always been doing it since hatching. Or unfortunately it could be a congenital issue with his lungs as well, like a malformed lung or something like that if it has been going on since he hatched. I hope that's not it, but again this is why he needs to see an experienced avian vet. What are you using as a substrate in his nest box, brooder, or wherever he is kept? He also could have ingested some bedding, or gotten dust down there too depending on what you're using.

I didn't catch whether or not you've already pulled him and are the one hand feeding him, or if you are planning to once he is 2-3 weeks old (again, I don't know how old he is) but if he aspirated from you feeding him then you need to be very careful. I doubt that it was you that was feeding him because I don't think they are 2-3 weeks old yet to be able to pull them, but just in case...

Good luck, please ask questions and let us know how the baby is doing and what the vet says. Keep a close eye on the other baby too.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."
Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
Priscilla.413 is on a distinguished road

I called the vet, and they didnt even consider bringing it to them and that really got to me.

But what really bothers me is that we cant afford to go to the only animal hospital that has someone with experience in avian care.

I found out that they're actually ignoring tee baby and I just saw them feed it for the first time (that Ive witnessed).

Its eyes are beginning to open, its growing its normal feathers, which is a MAJOR difference from what I thought earlier.

Is there anything at all that I can door for it?? I hate thinking that its suffering because we cant get to a vet.

Also, should Priscilla have quit sitting on them by now? Thats all she does 99% of the time. I was watching them a minute ago, and Elvis wouldnt feed this baby until I finay got mad at him. It kept moving to his beak and he climbed up the cage wall.