Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
enigma731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenD View Post

I too think sometimes we do jump to "it's an emergency" too soon, which can cause a bird stress, waste money, etc., but that is all completely relative to the signs and symptoms of the bird, at least that's what I go by. In this particular case the bird is obviously very sick and needed to see an avian vet immediately, as I said, SilverSage said, as well as others...If KimChee had not taken her bird to the vet it may have died already... Hence our sense of urgency, which was 100% warranted based on the bird's symptoms.
I'm going to assume this is snark aimed at me, since I'm the only one who didn't jump straight to "it's an emergency." Please note what I actually said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma731 View Post
If the bird is playing, eating, and currently not showing any additional signs of GI distress, I don't think it's an emergency. It's not actually that uncommon for birds to have unexplained episodes of vomiting that pass on their own. That being said, I would still see the vet ASAP, and WOULD treat it as an emergency if she starts showing symptoms again, including just being lethargic.
I'm not exactly sure how this is minimizing the situation -- what I did was to give criteria for evaluating whether or not the situation was a true emergency. I am also not sure how a bird that is perching, eating, playing is "obviously very sick."

Once again, it's not the intention or advice I take issue with, so much as the tone. Emotionally charged/manipulative language is not helpful in a situation like this.

Now, I'm glad that the OP's bird is getting care. If you want to further discuss my views on avian healthcare, feel free to PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Hey, I asked questions instead of freaking out.

There's another thread discussing the diagnosis at http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=146146 In the end, the conclusions was that "Apparently she ate something toxic" which is much too vague to allow a specific treatment. The bird spent the night at the vet but we weren't told whether they did anything while she was there.

Another thread at http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=146218 says she's taking medication three times a day but we don't know what it is. I have a sneaking suspicion that they're giving antibiotics "just in case", because vets (and human doctors) do that frequently when they don't know what's going on.

We'll probably never know exactly what happened here because it doesn't sound like the vet knows either. Enigma can correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's my understanding that acute poisoning would have done the damage within a short period of time (minutes or hours). It took a day or so to get in to the vet, and by that time a toxin would have already done whatever it was going to do. There might still be some treatment options, for example chelation therapy, but I don't know if they do that sort of thing when they don't actually know what happened. There's no indication that the bird had any serious organ damage that would need long term care, in fact they apparently ruled out kidney infection as a cause.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 04-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
enigma731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tielfan View Post
Hey, I asked questions instead of freaking out.
Oh, true. Okay, I guess I can share the snark with you.

"Ate something toxic" with no identified toxin is a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that the vet has ruled out other specific causes. But you're generally right about toxins. With the exception of heavy metal poisoning, where there may still be metal in the system to be chelated out, the only treatment for toxic exposure is supportive care.

I think it's also worth noting that this particular bird did not get seen immediately, and did not die.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

We're getting our information from the patient not the vet, so it's always possible that what the vet said was more specific than the information that filtered down to us. But the OP did a good job of reporting some of the possibilities that were considered, like lead poisoning and kidney infection. So if the vet DID find something specific, it's likely we that we would have heard something that was more specific than "apparently she ate something toxic".

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Closed Thread